Success Story- after 2 years

gregcoop
on 11/10/14 4:36 am

It's been a little over two years since I decided to change my life.  I had been struggling with my weight for years, and my health was deteriorating as time passed by.  I began to suffer from diabetes, hypertension, depression among other conditions that my obesity was causing.  My depression was affecting my relationship with my wife and my two kids.  Even though, I knew my eating habits were just destroying me, I couldn't stop.  It was not until one morning that I couldn't get up, I felt incredibly sick, my head was pounding and felt that it was going to explode.  My blood pressure was extremely high.  I was taken to the hospital, and it was not until I was laying in the emergency room that reality hit me.  I was destroying my life and with it, my family.  My doctor said that if I continued with the same lifestyle, that I was not going to live for much much longer.  With my wife's support, I began to consider WLS although we knew it was expensive and our budget was limited.  Our research took us to Mexico were we found Dr. Rafael Abril in Mexicali.  He performed a gastric sleeve on me, and here I am after 2 years.  I lost over 150 pounds and kept them off!!!  I can't be more thankful for my supportive family, my incredible doctor that through his experience and talented hands, gave me a chance to live.  I am now enjoying my family, my kids, my business, my health like never before.  I encourage everyone thinking about WLS to not be afraid, Go for it!! Remember that you only get to live once.

GregCoop    

Changed my life on Sep 20, 2012

Tracy D.
on 11/10/14 4:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Good for you, Greg - glad to hear that you turned things around! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

jenn1469
on 11/10/14 5:06 am

Your doing amazing good for you

Jennifer

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/10/14 5:30 am - MI

Great story Greg! Congrats on reclaiming your life and health!

Gwen M.
on 11/10/14 7:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congratulations on your great success!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ladyjag03
on 11/10/14 11:08 am

Great story and Congrats!

VSG w/ Dr. Kligman (UMMC): 10/9/14

aroth79
on 11/11/14 1:06 am

Greg, this is a wonderful story It is very impressive and inspiring, first of all I want to congratulate you is not easy to change old habits and make a life decision.

and personally I'm really glad to read your history, I have surgery with Dr. Abril too and its very satisfying hear about this. sometimes we do not realize the damage we are doing to us and our love ones and it is very difficult to change old habits and decide to have a surgery, thank God for good Dr. like Abril, good people that support your decision and this types of groups that give us love!, I constantly Skype with the patients coordinator from Dr. Abril I'll let them know that we are in touch!

much love and thanks for your words, I'm hoping to turn my 2 years post surgery!!

Anna R.

Surgery May 2014 in Mexicali

DeeNY52
on 11/11/14 7:39 am

Congratulations, Greg!  The VSG is a wonderful tool, and you are using it well.  It's great to feel like your life has started over and is on a healthy path.  Thanks for sharing the story of your success!

Dee

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views