shortness of breath and dizziness

purplecow
on 11/11/14 6:31 am

Hello everyone.  Things seems to be going "ok" since surgery this past Friday.  But I have 2 concerns that I would like some input on please:

1. Throughout the day I seem to get dizzy- have ya'll experienced this before? If so, why and when will it go away?

2. I'm not having any pain issues but I can hardly walk 15 feet without giving out of breath.  I'm huffing and puffing--but no pain.  Any ideas why?

Thank you for all responses! I appreciate them!

Missourimedic
on 11/11/14 6:37 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Call the surgeon ASAP. This could be a serious medical problem.

purplecow
on 11/11/14 6:39 am

Ok, Missourimedic I will...thank you.

Amy M.
on 11/11/14 6:44 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Are you getting in your liquids?  Right out of surgery it's very important that you sip sip sip to avoid getting dehydrated.  If you're light headed and dizzy it's possible that you're not getting in enough fluids.

Did they give you the little breathing tool in the hospital? I can't remember what it's calls but you're supposed to use it to take in deep breaths.  If not then practice some breathing exercises.

If you feel that something is wrong then definitely call your surgeon or go to the ER.  Especially if you experience any symptoms that could be indication of a leak (vomiting, severe abdominal pain, etc.).

purplecow
on 11/11/14 6:51 am

Hi Amy, I just started getting in a 40 oz of liquid total, today.  I don't have any pain except when I go from a sitting to standing position, then its only sore.  Yes, I have the incentive spirometer, I guess I should go and work on that some more.  Thank you so much.

GooseGirl
on 11/11/14 6:57 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I was sleeved 10/30 and have these same symptoms frequently. In my case, according to my surgeon, it is a combination of very low blood pressure and not getting enough fluids in. I am getting in about 40 oz of fluids and it is just not enough. As my surgeon told me, when he told me to get in 64 oz, he meant 64 oz :) If I don't get my fluids up in the next couple of days then I have a feeling he is putting me back in the hospital for dehydration. 

If there is any way that you can increase your fluids to 64 oz then it may really help. I would also recommend calling your surgeon just to see what he/she says is the likely culprit. 

purplecow
on 11/11/14 7:02 am, edited 11/11/14 7:03 am

thank you GooseGirl. I will certainly try.  Wow, I've never had a problem to where I couldn't fit everything in -- LOL.  That totally makes sense.  Yes ma'am, I will try.  good luck to you!!

Also, I was on some high-dose BP meds.  that totally makes sense ;)

C. Wood
on 11/11/14 8:55 am

Yes, I would check your BP. Mine went down significantly within a couple weeks of surgery and caused a lot of dizziness and light headiness. Doc took me off the meds Friday and I have felt so much better since. I have not had the shortness of breath though which is concerning.

Kelly Jean
on 11/11/14 9:03 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I would say ..

1. Call your surgeon 

2. Make sure you get on all your fluids..

3. Check your blood pressure ...

But definitely call your surgeon... best of luck to you !!! Keep us posted !! :-)

♡ Kelly

purplecow
on 11/11/14 9:11 am

Yes I definitely will! Thanks Kelly Jean :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views