How long does hormone dumping last?

greensleeved
on 11/13/14 6:32 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Do your hormones get dumped into your system the whole time you are losing weight? I am definitely struggling with anxiety, irritability, depression, insomnia (all issues I have had before) much more since surgery. It has been a particularly difficult semester at work for me too so that isn't helping. I can't tell if I am feeling this way because I no longer have food/fat as comfort/defense mechanism or if it is hormonal.  I plan to ask my therapist but I don't see her until Monday.  For the first half of the month it's a problem but bearable; after ovulation for the two weeks before my period it's awful. 

Anyone deal with similar issue? Is it hormone dumping or is it me? What were some of your experiences with hormones and when did they resolve? I'm also 44 and wondering if peri-menopause might be the culprit.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

wyo_sarah
on 11/13/14 7:59 am

My guess would be it is some of both.  I'm struggling because I haven't found a good way to deal with stress either.  No eating, no alcohol.  A lot of people suggest exercise to help with stress.  I'm 3.5 months out and I feel like my crazy emotional state is getting better.

csbsteph
on 11/13/14 8:06 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I feel ya & it sucks!  Seems like the first 4-6 months after surgery were the worst for me...mood swings & all.  I went to my gyn & she did & exam because I was spotting...get this all my lady parts are gone except for my cervix due to having to have a hysterectomy because of large cysts in my late 30's & with my hormones dropping as my weight was dropping the lining of my cervix was bleeding.  TMI I know but just make an appointment with your gyn, I take wellbutrin, xanax for a generalized anxiety disorder...not every day but as needed, ambien to help me sleep and estroven mood and memory which has really drastically helped with with hot flashes...don't know if you have em but they suck too.  Anyway sorry for my long reply and if it seems as if I'm pushing pills but the above prescriptions have made a huge difference in how I feel.  I feel ya, the mood swings will decrease see your Doc for some help and hang in there. 

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

greensleeved
on 11/14/14 5:59 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Very helpful. Thanks. I take Wellbutrin every day and Xanax as needed (though I am reluctant to take the Xanax because it makes me sleepy), but I'm on the Wellbutrin because I got off Celexa (for anxiety). The Celexa was awful. Made me want to sleep all day and killed my sex life. However, now that I'm off it my anxiety is back. Ugh.

My therapist is sending me to a psychiatrist to get more specialized information than my GP can give. Hopefully I'll find the right med soon.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Gwen M.
on 11/14/14 1:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thankfully my hormone dumping, if I've had any at all, has been really mild and non-problematic.  But, I do see a therapist every week so who knows if that's helped at all.  Could it be an issue of seasonal affective disorder?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JEdmund
on 11/14/14 1:57 am, edited 11/14/14 1:57 am
VSG on 10/20/14
On November 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM Pacific Time, greensleeved wrote:

Do your hormones get dumped into your system the whole time you are losing weight? I am definitely struggling with anxiety, irritability, depression, insomnia (all issues I have had before) much more since surgery. It has been a particularly difficult semester at work for me too so that isn't helping. I can't tell if I am feeling this way because I no longer have food/fat as comfort/defense mechanism or if it is hormonal.  I plan to ask my therapist but I don't see her until Monday.  For the first half of the month it's a problem but bearable; after ovulation for the two weeks before my period it's awful. 

Anyone deal with similar issue? Is it hormone dumping or is it me? What were some of your experiences with hormones and when did they resolve? I'm also 44 and wondering if peri-menopause might be the culprit.

After reading these boards, I realize that I might have had some depression that developed about two weeks post surgery.  I was in a funk for about two weeks.  I was hungry all the time and thought I had made a serious mistake.  About five days ago, things started to click.  I am starting week 4 and I feel so much better. 

Jenny

Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels