Might be turned away on THE DAY OF SURGERY!?

Helen O.
on 11/14/14 6:11 am

I just got home from my pre-op appointment and am kind of freaking out.  Everything during the appointment went well, and the nurse practitioner said I looked like I was all set.  Until she saw that I have gained 20 pounds since I first saw them in July. Now, my surgeon doesn't require a pre-op diet like most do. He says just do all-liquids the day before, and that's enough. So, here I am in my pre-op appointment FIVE days before surgery is scheduled, and suddenly the nurse practitioner is telling me that if I don't lose as much weight as possible before Wednesday, I could be turned down when I arrive that day. 

When I first saw them in July of this year, I was 353. I had been working 70 hours a week (not an exageration) as a lifeguard and swim teacher since February! It was a great arrangement in terms of having a situation that fell in line with healthy choices, but in August, I had an emergency appendectomy, subsequently lost my job, *and* quit smoking. All those things would understandably lead to weight gain. I haven't "let myself go".  I haven't been doing the "last meal" binge thing.  In fact, the past couple months, I've been working pretty damn hard to increase water and protein, decrease carbs, and generally prepare my body for surgery.

But here I am, less than five days shy of surgery, and they're telling me the whole thing might be cancelled if I don't miraculously lose 1-2 pounds per day for the next five days -- I'll know on my surgery date. -_-

(Just needed to vent/rant/panic aloud.)

HW: 410+ SW: 374 DOS: 359 CW: 328  GW: 180

VSG November 19 2014!

Phat_girl_38
on 11/14/14 6:40 am
VSG on 10/13/14

I'm so sorry to hear that! I would be pretty darn upset too! That seems like something that you should have been informed of! I wish you the best of luck!

Phat_Girl_38  / HW: 319 (Pre-op Wt: 292) SW: 282  GW: 165  Surgery Date: 10/13/2014

KimmyKat3
on 11/14/14 7:02 am, edited 11/14/14 7:04 am - Yonkers, NY
VSG on 10/28/14

I'm so sorry I really wish u the best of luck in this situation. I know the struggle is real when it comes to this whole process. Hopefully in 5 days this convo would not matter the the surgery would be over and done with.  At my first consult meeting back in May, I was 218, and my surgeon and nutritionist specifically told me to NOT gain any more weight or The surgery would not happen. Within my 6 months of prep and seeing my PCP I also gained 20 pounds( stress and my dad was in the ICU and admitted to the hospital, he's better but had to send him to a nursing home) The strain of that made me eat. but thru it all. I knew I had to lose or this would not happen. I lost it from July to sept, but it was soooo hard. Prepare yourself for the worst, the most that would happen is if it were rescheduled. It will all be ok, Drink two protein shakes a day, and a small lean cuisine meal. That should help u lose some weight in five days. good Luck! 

KimmyKat

Wildnwonderful
on 11/14/14 7:22 am

Best of luck to you. If it helps my surgeon requires me to do a liquid diet 7 days prior to surgery. He said I should lose about 5 lbs. in that time frame. Maybe you could try that.

greensleeved
on 11/14/14 7:48 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

That's awful. Sounds like bad communication on your doctors office's part. I had to do a two week liquid diet before surgery and I lost about 13 lbs. If you drink 4-5 protein shakes a day, tons of water, and nothing else you should get enough protein and drop some weight quickly.

BUT, I would ask the nurse practitioner for specifics. Is there a magic number that will make surgery happen/not happen? Is there some sort of medical reason for not doing the surgery at your weight? Since she suggests you lose "as much as you can" you should ask how you are to accomplish that. They owe you some guidance here.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Michele H.
on 11/14/14 8:17 pm - NJ

I agree with the others.....liquid diet.  3 or 4 low carb, high protein drinks(I recommend Premier Protein), water, Vitamin Water Zero, low sodium broth and sugar free ice pops.

In lost 10 pounds in 14 days.....whatever you can lose is a better than nothing.  It is going to be hard, very hard..... but keep drinking and keep yourself busy.

Good luck!

Michele

Grim_Traveller
on 11/14/14 8:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You say you've worked really hard to prepare your body for surgery. But you haven't. You've gained 20 pounds. You seem more concerned about the surgeon than about the negative effect this could have on your health. One thing that I've seen happen to some who have gained is that once the surgery starts, they end up having to do the surgery open instead of lap. 

Sticking to a good preop diet makes the surgeon's job easier, and a lot safer for us. Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

acbbrown
on 11/15/14 12:50 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I sort of becoming a bit of a surgery buff having had 4 major surgeries in 3.5 yrs. if they were going to cancel your surgery they most likely would have done it then and there. Sure , it's not impossible for surgeons to cancel a surgery but Ive learned OR time is valuable and always maximized. So it's doubtful that he'd cancel since he loses that money....just my experiences and surgeons talks I have had (ok and Ive been on a few dates with a surgeon and surgical resident lol). 

Just do what you can and be prepared either way. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~