Back from surgery in Mexico

DeeNY52
on 11/26/14 11:17 am

Hello OH friends - My surgeversary is tomorrow, one year and 84 lbs GONE FOREVER, no back pain, feeling and looking better at 62 than I did at 42!

But this story is about the trip I and my daughter just made to Tijuana for her VSG surgery. My insurance paid mine, but hers would not, so we researched surgery in Mexico.  I am fluent in Spanish and I know Mexico well.  I know their medical education and care is very good, so I had no worries there.

We went with Specialized Bariatrics, with Dr Lopez as the surgeon. Everything went fine, and I was very impressed with their organization, professionalism and kindness. We flew into San Diego and Victor picked us up right there and drove us to the Tijuana Marriott.  I hadn't been to TJ for 20 years and it has changed!  The city is growing, modern and clean - strolling around I had no fears at all for my safety.

Sandra, the lovely in every way patient coordinator met us at the hotel and explained everything.  Saturday morning we went for testing- blood, EKG and quick physical, then off to the Vida hospital for surgery.  Dr Lopez met with me after and explained how the surgery went.  I had a nice tour of TJ with some time for shopping while my daughter was in recovery. Since the hospital was booked I spent the night in another hotel, the next day back at Vida.  The recovery floor is like a spa!  Very posh.  The nurses were wonderful and very attentive, answered all questions, and yes, if you don't know Spanish, don't worry, they are well versed in medical English.  I was served tasty and healthy meals (my daughter got apple juice, but was a good sport about it!). 

The next day another leak test in the afternoon and a lazy day for us to enjoy each other's company and strategize for her new lifestyle.  Our last day Frank drove us to the airport in San Diego- there is a fast lane at customs for medical tourism and the ride is about 40 minutes.  My daughter was uncomfortable on the flight home- about 6 hours- mostly from gas.  They gave her pressure stockings to wear and she got up to walk every hour. So home safe and sound- I get to have turkey this TG but she's going to have protein shake- and start on her way to a healthy weight.

I'm not associated with Specialized Bariatrics, this is our honest experience.  We were just two of many American and Canadian patients who found excellent care at an affordable price in Mexico.  If you are worried about surgery in a foreign country, do your research.  We are very satisfied with our care there. 

I_am_Beautiful
on 11/26/14 5:03 pm

Congratulations!!!  Wow, that is exciting. 

I have been researching and considering using Dr Jesus Lopez for a friend.  After he staples, does he suture and glue the stomach?  

Have a a happy day!

DeeNY52
on 11/26/14 11:10 pm

I don't know, I didn't ask about suturing and glue.  Good luck.

Tropicalangel
on 11/26/14 11:14 pm - Canada

Hi, glad everything went fine. My surgery will be on march 2 in Tijuana  a few more days to go.

I am just curious what " pressure stocking " is, you referred to it in your first message.

Thanks for the info and wishing a smooth recovery to your daughter.

DeeNY52
on 11/27/14 12:01 pm

Pressure stockings are really tight  socks they give people after surgery- she was told to wear them on the flight. Good luck to you= I'm sure things will go well.

Gwen M.
on 11/27/14 10:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats to your daughter!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Y D.
on 12/18/14 2:10 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Thanks for sharing your experience with your daughter! I'll be having my surgery with Dr. Lopez in one month! :)

How has your daughter healed up since surgery?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views