4 1/2 years out--is this how all regain starts?

jubjub
on 12/5/14 1:20 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

2.5 years out here... so far I still log and weigh every day.  I also found exercise that I enjoy - rather than a trip to the gym every day.  That wasn't sustainable for me, but "training" where there's a goal in mind (a fun event you do with friends, a competitive event, whatever you can use to motivate the training) really helps me sustain the workouts. 

There's no easy answer, I don't think.  Those that are successful seem to keep experimenting until they find a way.  At only 2.5 years out I can't declare myself a success yet, but I feel like I've figured out WHAT I need to do.  I'm pretty good on the HOW to get myself to do it.  I also see the results of lapses... 

I also understand the "fear of hunger."   I totally get that.  I feel like that's what drove me to gain.  I felt it creeping back in to my head over the past few months as well.  I've confronted it head on by trying "intermittent fasting" and I feel like it's helping me realize that hunger is very temporary - even if you don't eat.  Somewhere in my head the fear was being driven by thinking that the hunger would just grow and grow and consume me - but it subsides pretty quickly, I've found.  Now I'm sort of sticking with the Intermittent fasting program and it seems to be working pretty well.

But to be clear, nothing works for everyone, and even things that work often stop working after a while when it comes to food and diet.  Keep trying to find a path...

Good luck!

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Grim_Traveller
on 12/5/14 2:37 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is about exactly what I would have written. I'm a couple of months behind jubjub, and have experienced the same things. I used the gym for a while when it was really important to maintain muscle mass, but would never do it long term. I don't do formal exercise, but work to continue high levels of activity every day. I still log every bit of food I eat. I get hungry more often in the evenings, and find if I delay eating for a while in the morning, I have calories left at night.

These things work great for me now, but I try to be prepared to make adjustments as soon as I notice a change, rather than waiting until I have a big problem.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views