Friends overly worried with what you can eat?

angel720
on 12/3/14 9:26 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I am finding that for some friends I have become a problem at social gatherings, they ask me  with a worried expression what I will be able to eat . I get that they are being considerate but  I do not want them changing their plans for me.   I have tried explaining  that I can eat everything just in smaller portions but they think that suddenly I will only eat ultra healthy food or something.  I am not one  to bother others with personal requests, I can adjust. I plan ahead and if I sense there might not be many choices for me I bring a snack with me.  Anyone deal with this? 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/14 9:48 am

What you describe is very common for many people early out after their WLS. It will eventually ebb. In the meantime, you might try what worked for me. When asked, I finally took to saying that I would love a simple protein offerings and a veggie platter.

I now realize that part of our culture revolves strongly around feeding people. It's what we do. I even do it still, even though I know better. It's engrained in us. People break bread together. I found that when I allowed people to plan for my dietary needs they were able to relax. I always made it very easy and simple and was never disappointed.

angel720
on 12/3/14 1:24 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

Good idea, if  they are trying to be helpful I will give them something to do ;) 

Gwen M.
on 12/3/14 9:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I have dealt with it from a few people - they just never seem to get it that I'll be okay.  Other people are a bit more on the ball and take me at my word when I say that I'll be fine.  I hope that the people in the first category will come to trust me over time, since it's sort of annoying!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

angel720
on 12/3/14 1:25 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

It is annoying!   Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one! 

weeziebeth
on 12/3/14 10:48 am

I think these are good friends that WANT to support you but aren't sure how. This is uncharted territory for them. I think its wonderful that they are the kind of friends who are basically asking how they can support you best. So explain and educate. 

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

angel720
on 12/3/14 1:28 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

I do know that they care   this is why I still hangout with them even when they annoy me a little.   great ideas!

DelilahJO
on 12/3/14 9:06 pm

Hahaha I saw this and just giggled. I have an 8 year old very bright daughter. She doesn't know Aboutnmy surgery but does know and had heard her father and myself talk about what I can eat or something getting "stuck" and it's like she is ALWAYS concerned with what I can eat, mom does that have bread in it, mom are you sure, if we are going out she will ask if the place has something I can eat etc. we have told her many times that she need not worry about me but I don't know it's just on her brain i suppose. 

Valerie G.
on 12/3/14 10:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're not a problem for them, but they are being thoughtful to your needs - and be sure  to thank them for that. 

In time, they will get used to your smaller portions and realize that you're the same person you always were.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Escape_Pod
on 12/10/14 2:22 am

I have a couple of friends who also still worry about what I "can" eat, and I'm 3+ years post-op.  But you know what?  I'm not inconveniencing them! Now, I don't make special requests, if I've been invited, I accept whatever it is they're serving and make the best choices I can.  But if they inquire, they're being thoughtful, and it's ok for me to let them be thoughtful.  And if they adjust the food offerings to make sure there are some no-carb / no-sugar options, or a couple of healthier options, is that really such a bad thing?  I might be the only one in the group who had surgery (though in my case, I'm actually not), but I'm not the only one who could benefit from some healthier food! 

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views