3 days post op - update

ANGELINA6501
on 12/19/14 12:56 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Surgery was 3 days ago and I am feeling much better! Was sent home Wed. afternoon. I have some minor, dull pain at two of my incision sites and occasional sharp pains if I move my abdomen a certain way. My lower back, on the left, hurts as well. Had to cough a few times - OUCH! Definitely have gas pains, but Dr. wouldn't allow me to use GAS-X (because it moves things along too fast??? - that was the reason) so I'm just walking and dealing with it. I'm taking my Dilaudid, Protonix and Klonopin to help with all the pain and minor anxiety. Incisions look good; they used Dermabond instead of steri-strips.

Yesterday I was able to get in 60 oz of fluids, 41 grams of protein and 425 calories. My goals are 64 oz / 75 g / 800 cal. Not too bad, I don't think. Started the multivitamin as well. I feel like I could drink normally, but I am trying to take smaller sips. I do feel hungry, but not ravenous and nothing that a few sips won't cure!

I'm still in a little disbelief that I actually went through with it! But it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I tire easily and nap off and on. Laid in bed last night for a little while; was slightly uncomfortable, but I needed to change out of the recliner.

So far no buyer's remorse! Tastes still seem ok, but then again, I'm still on liquids. :) I've looked at and smelled hubby's food with no issues. No nausea, no vomiting! No BM, but not sure when I should be going, since I've only been drinking liquids. Also, I have to do 2 weeks of Lovenox shots.

Thanks all for your prayers and support!!

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226

Y D.
on 12/19/14 1:05 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hi Angela, congrats on surgery, sounds like you're doing great!

Wow the Dr. prescribed Dilaudid, that's pretty major, most people don't have anything after, maybe some OTC Tylenol. Was your surgery open or laproscopic?

Keep up the good work

ANGELINA6501
on 12/19/14 1:25 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Yes, I had PCA Dilaudid for a few hours, then switched over to pills. Tylenol doesn't touch my pain. I'm glad I have them, I do still have some irritating pain. The surgery was done lap.

Thanks!

~Angela

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/14 1:11 am
VSG on 12/16/14

I had surgery 12/16 too! How in the world are you getting in that much fluids and protein? I'm having a hard time!

ANGELINA6501
on 12/19/14 1:30 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Keep sipping. It'll get better. My doc said focus on liquids, then protein. If you can get both in one drink, great! I'm sorry you are having a bit of a tough time. I'm positive you'll make your goals soon! How was the rest of your surgical experience??

~Angela

ANGELINA6501
on 12/19/14 1:24 am, edited 12/19/14 1:26 am
VSG on 12/16/14

I don't feel much restriction with liquids so it doesn't seem like too much of a problem. Using a small 2 oz cup to help measure and small sips, but frequent. Also, any liquids count, like protein shakes, popsicles, etc...I made some protein fudgesicles to help get in the protein. When I start to feel "full" I just slow down and let the uncomfortableness pass. I have been hooked on Strawberry Powerade Zero, that is what I mainly drank yesterday. Ice chips are good too, they just melt away. I just keep telling myself that I don't want to get dehydrated so I just sip away. When the hospital sent up my tray, I had milk, jello, SF Carnation breakfast, Optisource and a can of Beneprotein. Half hour later, she was back to take away the tray - I was no where near done! Actually took some of those items home since I couldn't finish them.

The hospital gave me some Gelatein protein jello, which has 20 g of protein in 4 oz. I will be ordering these, even though they are a little expensive. It'll make reaching my protein goal a bit easier. And they don't taste nasty! This may eliminate my need to rely on shakes for my protein requirements. I know I'll need the other nutrients in the shake powders.

~Angela

Most Active