When does the "I'm full" sensation start? I'm 5 days out.

Alice9248
on 12/20/14 10:44 am

I'm not having any problem eating my 3 oz. pureed stage food at all. Mainly scrambled eggs and cottage cheese (my doc allows on this stage). I don't feel any restriction or fullness.  I am having waves of gas with every sip of water or bite of food but it passes in a few seconds. I'm taking at least 20 min. per meal. My buddy could barely get down a couple spoonfuls when she got home from the surgery.  What's up with me?? Words of wisdom??

CourtneyMartina
on 12/20/14 11:17 am

Unfortunately I don't have any words of wisdom but I'm experiencing the same thing. I have gas pain with sips that go away within seconds and I still haven t had that "full" feeling kick in yet. I'm still on clear liquids. I had my surgery on December 17th. 

Alice9248
on 12/20/14 11:32 am

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in the strange ghost gas feeling.  It sux.  If I drink warm herbal tea I don't feel it as much or if I make my protein shake into an ice cream thickness and eat it. Hopefully, some veterans will give us some insight.

Gwen M.
on 12/20/14 11:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't get the "full" feeling until I started eating solid food.  And, of course, I never aim to feel that way since I still stick to 4 ounce per meal.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kim N.
on 12/20/14 12:34 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Hi Alice ~

I had surgery 12/8.  So I'm close to 2 weeks out.  Don't worry, it will come.  This past Tuesday for lunch I made a 1/2 cup of tomato soup.  I was only able to eat about 3 tablespoons and boy did my tummy tell me that was enough.  To get less air into your tummy when you drink, take a sip, blow the air out through your nose and swallow.  That was a fabulous suggestion my surgeon gave me cause it really works.  Gas is a pain I know but walking really helps as well.  You'll be fine.  Don't rush yourself to reach your milestones.  They happen when they're  ready.  It's a learning process for all of us.  Don't put anymore stress on yourself.  Take care and feel better....Merry Christmas ~ Kim

BorderCollieMama

weightlost100
on 12/21/14 12:17 am

I had surgery on 12/10 and I'm not allowed to have a anything until 12/29 other than clear liquids and my protein shakes. :-(

TeressaJ
on 12/20/14 1:47 pm

I'm 6 months out and full no longer feels comfortable, in fact it's painful. Sticking to my 4 oz per meal feels much better, no discomfort.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/20/14 3:16 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I guess everyone is different. I felt it pretty much from the get go. But please don't guage yourself by what others felt in terms of the timing and the actual feeling itself. Our pre sleeve anatomies were different and so are our post op ones. Length of stomach, vagus nerve position, surgical technique etc.

What I can advise is not to look for the full feeling but try to identify the satiated feeling and stick to that. Eating til full will eventually increase your capacity and could send you on the slippery slope back to bad habits. Learn what you need to eat first to lose your excess weight then to maintain and keep to those quantities.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Alice9248
on 12/21/14 1:10 am

Thanks guys.  This forum is great for getting the real scoop and for support.  Happy Holidays!

Carolyn W.
on 12/22/14 12:45 am

The full feeling didn't really start for me until I started solids. Your stomach is still healing and they cut your nerves which makes you unable to feel any restriction (it sucks, but it will pass.) Just last month is when I really started to notice getting full and I'm just about 3 months out. Just remember not to overdo it and you will do great! 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views