question abou****er with food

NanfromSan
on 12/24/14 1:15 am
VSG on 12/09/14

I'm only on pureed/soft/mushy foods.  Does the "don't drink while eating" rule apply to this category as well?  Or just when I get to solid food?  I'm trying to remember not to drink while I eat so I can get in the habit.  Just curious if it makes a difference with foods that are almos****ery already.  

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Tracy D.
on 12/24/14 1:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, it makes a difference.  Because your soft/mushy foods at this point are supposed to be full of protein...and you want that protein to stay in your stomach for as long as possible.  Search on here for Frisco's post on "Pyloric Valve 101" and commit it to memory.  

When you put protein into your tummy you want it to stay there as long as possible so you feel satisfied.  When you drink with your meals or right after your meals, you push that food right through the stomach and you'll lose that satiated feeling.  

In addition, even at 19 months out I can tell you that taking a drink with a meal or too soon after a meal HURTS!  It puts way too much pressure on my stomach and is super uncomfortable.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lo_ri_p
on 12/24/14 2:56 am - Ocala, FL

This is the best advice ever!  I just read "Pyloric Valve 101" and it makes me wonder why doctors don't tell you that.  Mine never said anything about having to eat the protein first.  He stressed the importance of eating it but I have been mixing my baby food meat and veggie together.  I just tried eating the meat and I feel almost as full as if I had eaten both together.  Thanks to you and Frisco.

emelar
on 12/24/14 1:26 am - TX

Yes, even with pureed/soft/mushy, don't drink.  It's a good habit to get into.  You want you food to stay in your stomach as long as possible both for satiety and for digestion.  Your food/nutrients/vitamins get absorbed in your small intestine, but they get predigested and broken down in your stomach.  And since you don't have the bigger stomach to do the breaking down, you need to keep the food in your tiny stomach as long as possible.  Finally, even with pureed/soft/mushy, you'd probably find yourself in distress if you tried to drink while eating.  The stomach is so small at this point that even the fluid can't move fast enough through the pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach - and it it can't go down, it's going to come up!

Luvmygs
on 12/26/14 3:20 am
VSG on 12/04/14

My diet progression chart tells me at week 3 weeks post-op while eating puree foods I can resume drinking water after eating. No need for me to wait. I've had no problems with this. But, my next stage when I progress to soft foods, I'll need to wait 30 minutes after eating before drinking water. My week 9 and beyond, tells me I need to wait 1 hour after meals before drinking water. According to my nutritionists drinking chart for me.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 232 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 306 views