NOT LOSING ENOUGH

kaffbeau
on 12/28/14 12:29 am

My bariatric coordinator recently asked how I was doing....they are in Mexico so I have not had any "in person" contact or follow-up care. I knew this going into it and feel it is ok for me. I replied with me feeling back to normal and I sometimes forget I was even sleeved because I feel so well, get hungry as normal and eat normal foods; in smaller quantities of course. I have not been "tracking" everything I eat as I just want to lose slowly and live life as normal as possible. I told the coordinator that I have lost 44 pounds in 9 weeks since surgery and a total of 56 in 14 weeks. I received a response back that pretty much stated I have not lost enough and must do much better. I need to cut carbs, add protein shakes and cut out all nuts, butters, all sugar and in essence eat far less. I was quite happy that my scale was going down at the rate I was going and now and feeling like a bit of a failure and am depressed about being "scolded"....thoughts? PS...I am 54 and have hypothyroidism.

Laura in Texas
on 12/28/14 1:10 am

A month ago you posted this:

"I feel much better consuming carbs. Maybe I will lose slower but that's ok with me."

If you are fine with your loss, then do not worry about what your surgeon says. It sounds like you are losing at a great pace. My only concern is that you keep talking about eating like a "normal" person. I worry this means you are eating crappy foods but just less of them. As you get further out, your capacity will increase and that philosophy may catch up to you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sunnkistme
on 12/28/14 1:14 am

I am not quite 8 weeks out and have only lost 30 pounds. I feel OK about my loss I know I need to up water and protein but I am not eating unhealthy carbs or sugar.  It is just how I lose.  I feel great.  How do you feel? 

Scolding is not acceptable.  Someone can give advice and support effective changes but you are not 2.

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 1:22 am, edited 12/28/14 1:36 am

I agree with he surgeon.  It was a waste of your time and their time. If you don't make this work now you are on your way to becoming just another statistic rather than a success.  Eating like "normal" person is a red flag!  You had a "restriction only" procedure. Your body will adapt and you will eventually start to gain even on the limited quantities your are eating. You are 54. You need to think of your health long term and not just for the day. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

kaffbeau
on 12/28/14 1:35 am

Ok just to clarify "eating normal" I meant I am eating mostly protein but add salads, veges, yogurt and nuts etc. but I don't track everything I eat like some.

I have not had a piece of bread, pasta , rice etc. My coordinator also told me to stop walking so much. She states my walking may be slowing down my loss because I may not be getting in enough protein? I am so confused. I felt CRAPPY while not having any yogurt (GREEK 80 cal) or almost no carbs. VERY crappy.

If I truly NEED to lose faster as you say, maybe I should rethink and redo my diet. I may have been in la la land thinking I was doing ok....all advice is well taken.

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 1:50 am

Great!  My advice. Knock out all the salads and veggies. Keep them to a minimum. They aren't helping you lose. Protein is the key and that stuff is taking up valuable room in your small stomach. Same with nuts and peanut butter. Not as great as people used to think.  There is plenty of tasty foods you can eat without sabatoging yourself and your health. Read your labels. Not all Greek yogurts are good. Stick with the Fage 0 or 2% and flavor it up yourself or I eat the dannon Light and Fit. The numbers are acceptable and it's not loaded with sugar. 

I wouldn't stop walking, just up your protien. 

Remember your body burns carbs for energy first. Knock out the carbs your body has to burn it's own stores (fat) for energy.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

kaffbeau
on 12/28/14 4:15 am

Chilipepper; thanks so much for the valuable information. I will take this information and run with it. Glad to see I was mistakenly thinking I was doing the right thing by trying to be normal as you are right, I cannot be normal; especially during the losing phase.

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 4:51 am

Lunchmeat and cheese roll ups are great in getting your numbers up.  I always keep that in the fridge. 

Track your numbers and food. It is very important early on. 

kaffbeau
on 12/28/14 5:12 am

The coordinator also told me to stay away from cheese/eat only a very small amount of it....confusing

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 5:53 am

Eat it in moderation, if not it will back you up. Cottage cheese with cinnamon and a little equal is terrific.  I eat ricotta.  Cheese isn't the enemy, it's your portion size.. I eat a few slices a day.  Either wrapped in some lunchmeat or in an omlet with some ham. Yum and loads of protein.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views