WLS = Plastic surgery?

mia97478
on 12/30/14 2:25 pm, edited 12/30/14 2:26 pm

Hello,

I have just started my WLS journey and I have SO many questions.  I've been reading through posts for the last week or so and I feel I've learned a lot of useful info, so thanks to all of you for that.

One question I still have is whether or not I should assume I'll need plastic surgery after my loss. I know there will be some loose skin and I know everyone's body reacts differently but are there people who found that they didn't need plastics after? 

I won't be having surgery until July (sleeve) and I understand that if I do need plastics it wouldn't be for another 2 yrs or so after sx...but if this is something that is more or less going to be a necessity then I want to plan ahead financially. My understanding is that insurance doesn't typically pay for it so I don't want to wait until the last minute to stay saving.

Thanks!

Mia

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/30/14 4:27 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

It really depends on a lot of factors like age, how much weight you need to lose, how long you have carried the excess, where your excess is, what your skin is like etc etc. if you can plan for plastics financially by saving ahead of time and then find you don't need any, well, thats great! You will have savings to buy a house or go on a world tour or whatever. Good luck with your journey!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gwen M.
on 12/30/14 9:51 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My plan is to plan as if I'll need plastics. If I don't, I can always do something else with the money I've saved. Better to plan for it and not need it than vice versa, I think. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ihearttennis
on 12/30/14 10:20 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

When I started my journey I felt so blessed to have the opportunity to have VSG that I promised myself I would never complain about the excess skin.  I lost 100 lbs and  got pretty good at hiding and folding (think origami) the skin under my clothes.  I looked pretty good with clothes on but being naked was a different story. I never thought plastics would be in my future because of finances and I accepted the fact that I would take the skin over fat any day.

Fast forward a year and my husband walks in the room and sits next to me while I am watching an episode of Botched.  The doctors are looking at this woman's tummy and saying how awful it is and how she shouldn't have to live with it that way and that they would fix it for her.  I started laughing and made the comment to my husband that I thought it was funny because that woman's tummy was 100 times better than mine.  He then looked at me and said that since I've never complained about it that he had no idea I felt that way.  He then said that we should start making a plan to get  it done if it something I wanted.  We ended up refinancing, I work a  part time job in the evenings and we redid our budget to make it possible.  I am 12, maybe 13 days out from surgery and thrilled.

You never know how you will feel down the road, so like others have said, I would plan on it and if you decide you don't need it then you will have a nest egg for something else.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Friends K.
on 12/30/14 10:42 pm
RNY on 01/14/14

I thought I'd be fine just thrilled with the loss but now I'm looking at surgery.  I am interested but also can't imagine spending the money that way. It brings up lots of other body image issues. Sigh

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

ReclaimingPaula
on 12/30/14 11:30 pm
VSG on 01/28/14

I'll share my perspective with you.  I still have no clue whether I will ultimately end up having plastic surgery or not.  Right at this moment in time, it is not on the horizon because I just hit the point where I feel ready to maintain and stay where I'm at, and I would not even consider plastic surgery seriously until I have maintained for a year.  But, I will tell you honestly that I am more interested in plastic surgery than I thought I would be.  Who knows how I will feel in a year about this, because maybe my skin will bounce back more than I expect.  BUT - the thing that I see happening for me is that I STILL would not be comfortable in a normal bathing suit.  Now it's because of the loose skin, and I would much rather have that than the fat.  But, in my "ideal" world, I'd be able to walk down a beach someday in not even a bikini, but just a normal bathing suit and feel comfortable doing it.

I really like the idea that others have shared - save up for plastics just in case you end up wanting them.  If you decide that is not necessary, then spend the money celebrating your successful weight loss - go on a trip or something.

Best of luck to you as you embark on this journey.  I am one who is THRILLED that I took this step in my life - so happy with the outcome!

Surgery 01/28/2014. HW: 310. Consult 290, Surgery 270.  CW = 150   

Laura in Texas
on 12/31/14 12:06 am

I agree with the others. It can depend on a lot of factors. Having been in this community a long time and after having attended numerous bariatric gatherings , I'd estimate over 80% of us have enough skin or lumpy-bumpiness to warrant plastic surgery. Many learn to live with the skin, but many of us do have plastic surgery to help our mental state. I was in the latter group. Plastic surgery made me feel whole again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

mia97478
on 12/31/14 1:17 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I carry most of my weight in my boobs and butt, that's not to say I don't have a stomach, because, I definitely do. I'm 38, 285lbs and 5ft tall, I'll start planning for plastics just in case.

Also, I spoke to my doctor today and plastics are covered IF the skin is causing chaffing or redness. So when the time comes I'll ask you all to light a candle, swing chickens, and pray for chafing!

redpanda
on 1/1/15 12:05 am

OMG. This might be my favorite visual ever. Swing those chickens!