Help with pain - suggestions

ANGELINA6501
on 1/1/15 10:13 pm
VSG on 12/16/14

So for the most part, I have been doing well except for pain. It is always there. Muscle pain, incision pain, pain that feels like my skin is burnt. Now I am starting to feel pain inside like where my stomach is. I've had continued pain; I'd say a solid 5/10. Doc sent me home with dilaudid, a 3 day supply which I nursed for a week. Called 2nd week for refill which again was for dilaudid 3 day supply lasted a week. When I called again the next week, this last Monday, they were flustered that I was taking too much. Gave me Tramadol and Flexeril instead and warned me that I was taking too much.I explained that i wasn't but they didn't seem so sure. Made me look like a drug seeker. Well Tramadol doesn't work for me and the Flexeril just knocked me out with no pain relief. I am afraid to call again but I'm tired of feeling pain. Any suggestions?  I've been suffering through all week and I'm ready for relief. I do tend to be hypersensitive to pain which in turn gives me panic attacks. Been having those too because of ineffective pain management. 

~Angela

VSG 12/16/2014   HW: 309 / SW: 280 / CW: 226

Gwen M.
on 1/1/15 10:52 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your surgeon so you can talk to him face to face.  I think that might be more effective than just having messages relayed through his staff.  That way he can check to make sure things are okay.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

iloveravens
on 1/1/15 11:40 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I'd make an appointment to get checked out.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

ANGELINA6501
on 1/2/15 2:33 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thanks. I already have appointments next week with my PCP, NUT and surgeon. I will definitely let them know what is going on. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

~Angela

56sunShine14
on 1/2/15 3:29 am

I am confused - you received 2 - 3 day supplies but stretched them both out to last a week?  That's the first problem right there isn't it?  You were given the pain pills for a reason, not intended to be stretched out.

Flexeril is only a muscle relaxer, not a pain reliever.  Tramadol probably doesn't touch that type of pain.

Please call your doctor for an appointment

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

ANGELINA6501
on 1/2/15 4:12 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Yes, the first script was for 30 pills, I could take 1-2 pills every 4-6 hrs. If I took the max, that would be 12 pills/day - not even a 3 day supply. I took 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon and then 1 before bed. The first day or two I did take 4 a day.

The second script was for 24 pills. Same dosage and instructions. Took them the same way. When I called for a refill, they said "Well, you were just given a whole bunch of pills on Monday, you should still have some left." This was last Friday. I was told to space them out with Tylenol.

I had taken Tramadol before, I know it doesn't work for me. I told them that and they still prescribed them for me. I took one, thinking maybe my tummy might absorb it different and it would work. Still no effect. She did suggest Vicodin, then said that they wanted me off narcotics and she had to "check with her colleague."

Mind you, this is not my surgeon that is prescribing these - it was a nurse I saw once in the hospital when they made rounds. The tramadol/flexeril was prescribed by my surgeon's nurse.

I am on the phone now to see what can be done.

Thanks

~Angela

happyteacher
on 1/2/15 8:19 am

Damn. That is a lot of narcotics. This is coming from a chic who has been through a slew of surgeries due to cancer, and I can tell you that stuff is nothing to be messed with. One of my docs mentioned that people who took that stuff consistently for more than a few weeks tended to still be using it years later. No thank you. 

I disagree with you that your doctor only gave you a "3 day supply". I have gone through this surgery, a double mastectomy, a TT, implants... loads of surgery. The initial prescription given to me is similar to what you posted, and it indeed lasted for more than a month. On one surgery, I did have a script refilled. I threw out nearly all of it a month later. 

I would indeed call your surgeon. But you may want to consider calling a therapist as well. I do not doubt that you are experiencing pain from the surgery, but from your own words you are 'hypersensitive". I am concerned that this could inadvertantly lead you to dependency. WLS patients are notorious for picking up a different addiction (other than food) post op. Don't let this be you.

I hope you are feeling better, truly I do. Try to stay away from that stuff- it will wreck you. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ANGELINA6501
on 1/2/15 6:51 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Thankfully, the nurse did give me a few more dilaudid to get me through until Thursday's appt with the surgeon. She asked if the Flexeril helped with the pain. Yeah, because I was sleeping and didn't feel it. But I didn't want to sleep all my days away since I should be sipping and walking.

I guess you have to really spell it all out for them

~Angela

56sunShine14
on 1/2/15 7:10 am

Angelina,  I don't think nurses can give prescriptions can they?  Especially for schedule 1 narcotics such as Tramadol.  Even at my vets office, the vet has to fill my dogs script for Tramadol and now the state makes us fill out a form with drivers license number on it.

I am really confused about your post.  PLEASE help me understand this.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

ANGELINA6501
on 1/2/15 7:32 am, edited 1/2/15 7:33 am
VSG on 12/16/14

Ok, let me see if I can sort this out. The script (dilaudid) that I received when I left the hospital was written by a provider (on my script bottle, it just states provider: the persons name with no indication of Dr or CRNP status).  I just assumed she was a nurse, but she could most certainly be a doctor. I am not 100% sure of this person's credentials. I was a bit fuzzy when I met her during rounds. She also wrote the refill for dilaudid.

The second scripts (Tramadol/Flexeril) were written by my surgeons nurse, who is a CRNP.

The new script that I received today (dilaudid) has my surgeon's name on the script.

I hope this clears up any confusion. My PCP is a CRNP and she has scripted me many different meds, including Tramadol and codeine based meds.

I have not had to fill out any form with my drivers license number, but I live in PA so that may have something to do with it. Now if I needed to buy something like Advil Cold & Sinus, then I would have to show driver license and sign a paper.

~Angela

Most Active