Getting sleeved tomorrow!!! Too nervous to sleep.

beachbum75
on 1/13/15 9:16 am
VSG on 01/14/15

Hey sleevers! Tomorrow is my day!!!! (Wednesday).  I'm so excited and so nervous! This has been a VERY long process and I'm just so glad the day is almost here.   I'm hoping some of you veterans might be able to answer a few things for me.

-I quit smoking last month and I'm 3lbs over my recommended pre-op weight -will they still sleeve me?  

-What did you bring with you- I've already packed my kindle, moisturizer, chapstick and gas-x strips.  Anything else you wish you'd brought or couldn't live without?

-What was your best go-to food for the first 2 weeks?  I've got a bit pot of turkey bone broth simmering away right now and i'll have some of that served warm with protein powder everyday.  I don't care for bouillon or cup of soups-so I made my own.  I've also got cream of wheat, SF jello, popsicles and pudding.  I'll start browsing for more stage 2/3 recipes now.

-Did you wear any compression garments around your stomach after surgery?  I know some docs recommend them-some don't.

Thanks for reading!  Wish me luck!

coll26
on 1/13/15 9:26 am
VSG on 01/30/15

Good luck! I'm on the 30th, keep in touch!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/13/15 9:38 am - MI

See you on the losers bench tomorrow!

I didn't use my ipad, but still bring your kindle. I walked, sipped, slept and I didn't have time for the ipad. Chapstick is a must!!

Everyones plans are different, but the first two weeks I was really into protein shakes, egg drop soup, chicken broth, yogurt, sugar free jello, sugar free popscicles & sugar free pudding.

No compression garments required by my surgeon. I think that would have been very uncomfortable.

Good luck.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Gwen M.
on 1/13/15 9:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Really comfy/loose clothes to wear home from the hospital.  I wore a formless dress with nothing under :P  

My go to for the first two weeks was my protein shake.  And SF popsicles!  And strained French onion soup from Panera.  Yum.  I didn't do cream of wheat since I wasn't interested in the carbs.  

I asked my surgeon about binders/compression gear and he said there was no need, so I didn't.  

Remember to walk and sip as much as possible once you're out of surgery!  Walking will help with the gas - gas-x won't.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

beachbum75
on 1/13/15 10:11 am
VSG on 01/14/15

thanks ladies!  your advice and support was so good to read...  going to be a long night-have to be up at 4am to head into the city.  i'll (hopefully) be in touch tomorrow!  thanks!

Flabaway
on 1/13/15 2:02 pm
VSG on 01/05/15 with

I took my kindle, eventually I was able to focus on it, the GA and painkillers and your body saying 'wait, what!' will making reading a bit of a challenge. Music is good. I took Chapstick, never needed it. Gas x strips will be your best friend for 4 or 5 days. I wish I'd taken more soft clean t shirts because I bled a bit thru the ones I took. I would go from being super hot to super cold in a short period of time, so have enough layers. Loose and comfy.

mar17
on 1/13/15 10:32 pm

I wish you the BEST day!  You did great getting within 3 lbs of pre-op goal!  My surgery was quick and easy, and I stayed only one night in the hospital.  So I did not need much other than a loose dress to wear home, lotion and chapstick.  You will be too tired for reading!  For gas, which I hardly had, I used DigestZen and Peppermint essential oils on the bottom of my feet. I think it made a difference.  Two weeks on a clear/full liquid diet is a challenge.  You will start to get pretty tired of anything you have been eating.  But any soup can go in the blender and make a nice taste change.  I also used Premier Protein shakes that have 30g protein in each one. I sipped water all day with some 100% cranberry juice added for flavor.   I did not use cream of wheat because I thought it would be too thick.  Regarding compression, an actual garment would be uncomfortable in my opinion, but my nurse had made me a heavy pillow for my stomach that really helped.  My pillow said "HUG ME!"  which is just what you need to do with it.  At home you can wrap heavy sheets folded into a square and wrapped in some medical tape and use it to press against your stomach.  That was the best thing for my pain!  GOOD LUCK!

Beth Of Fletchair
on 1/13/15 10:43 pm, edited 1/13/15 10:45 pm
with

I'm excited for you!  You are bringing all the right stuff.  My hospital supplied everything else that anyone would need.  They even had great, comfy Nicole Miller night gowns and night masks and ear plugs. The mask and ear plugs were a godsend. I slept through both my nights in the hospital in undisturbed peace even though they, apparently, checked my vitals periodically.

I am like you.  I hate fake food.  My Brother made me several quarts of organic Bone Broth (beef and chicken) that I lived on during my first 2 weeks.  I still have a cup of bone broth every day.  

http://undergroundwellness.com/top-5-reasons-why-bone-broth- is-the-bomb/

monica37
on 1/14/15 3:26 am - Chicago, IL

Good luck.. I am excited for you. I am gtting sleeved on 3/2 and have to quit smoking as well. Anwyay, you seem like you are well prepared. Please post and let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it. Good luck !!

Leebee3
on 1/14/15 12:28 pm
VSG on 01/22/15

I go next Thursday, 1/22!!!   Good luck!!   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views