Drug Interactions? Synthroid & Calcium Citrate?

November18
on 1/14/15 5:09 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I was just filling out a form to renew my L-Thyroxine( Synthroid) prescription. I noticed on the sheet that comes with the prescription it says: If you use any of the following drugs, avoid taking them within 4 hours before or 4 hours after you take L-Thyroxine: calcium carbonate( Caltrate, Citrical, Oystercal, and others) I've taken Citracal calcium citrate since surgery. No doctor or the bariatric center told me that would interact with my synthroid. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it just the calcium carbonate you have to watch out for? Seems strange they wouldn't have told me about this. Every doctor's appointment they make a big deal about the list of medications you are on!

Bonnie

iloveravens
on 1/14/15 5:15 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I also take Synthroid and have been told numerous times by my surgeon and endocrinologist to NOT take calcium for 4 hours before or after my Synthroid.  So, yes, I've been told that.  How have your TSH levels been? 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

November18
on 1/14/15 6:12 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I haven't had any bloodwork since surgery. Will get it taken before my February 12th appointment. I'm just going to take my synthroid at 8 am and not start taking my calcium citrate until noon. Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking my doctor's are not up to par!

Bonnie

Tracy D.
on 1/14/15 5:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Well, from what you just said you should be fine.  You are not taking calcium carboniate...you are taking calcium citrate, right?  Since we are only supposed to be taking calcium citrate (and it doesn't appear to be a problem) I can understand why they never brought it up.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Daelcare
on 1/14/15 6:18 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I take all my meds (including 2 thyroid meds) in the morning!  Calcium citrate, iron, B complex, D, multi, omeprazole, probiotic and biotin with no problems at all.  I take them one at a time, so I do get up a little earlier!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

November18
on 1/14/15 7:15 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I was told not to take the iron within two hours of the calcium citrate. Something about you don't absorb one or the other if taken at the same time.  My iron is in my multi-vitamin and my D is in my calcium citrate. This spreading these pills out because of absorbtion is a pain because I forget to take them. LOL! I don't know if the calcium citrate has affected my  synthroid because I haven't had any bloodwork since surgery. Getting bloodwork for Feb. 12th appointment.

Bonnie

Tracy D.
on 1/15/15 12:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have had blood work numerous times since my surgery and I'm on Synthroid and take calcium citrate every day.  All of the numbers have come back just fine.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mickeymantle
on 1/14/15 6:52 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you should not take iron and calcium within 2 hours of each other they stop absorption  of each other 

and questions about drug interactions should be asked to your pharmacist  they are  trained to know the answers  or your pcp 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

hollykim
on 1/17/15 12:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 14, 2015 at 1:09 PM Pacific Time, November18 wrote:

I was just filling out a form to renew my L-Thyroxine( Synthroid) prescription. I noticed on the sheet that comes with the prescription it says: If you use any of the following drugs, avoid taking them within 4 hours before or 4 hours after you take L-Thyroxine: calcium carbonate( Caltrate, Citrical, Oystercal, and others) I've taken Citracal calcium citrate since surgery. No doctor or the bariatric center told me that would interact with my synthroid. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it just the calcium carbonate you have to watch out for? Seems strange they wouldn't have told me about this. Every doctor's appointment they make a big deal about the list of medications you are on!

I have always been told to take my Synthroid alone with water only and not to take ANY other medications of food within 2 hours of taking it.

November18
on 1/17/15 10:28 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks! I'm going to try that. Don't know why my doctor wouldn't tell me that. I have always thought there is something wrong with my metabolism. Even since this surgery, I feel I am an EXTRA slow loser. I'm being so good but have lost only 32 lbs. pre-op and post. Will be 9 weeks out Tuesday. Most of my loss was the first 3 weeks after surgery. It is slooooow going.

Bonnie

Most Active