let them know!

xray_girl
on 1/17/15 6:57 am

Hi all! 

I just wanted to share this info i learned (quite by accident  ). At almost 2weeks post op i traveled 5hrs to start Ultrasound school (xray tech for many years). Apparently  the staples from our surgery do somewhat make it difficult  to get good pictures of organs on the left side (spleen'kidney). They cause similar  shadowing  like gas .

Soo, if you go for an abdominal  ultrasound inform them of your surgery so they won't think you ate  breakfast! That is all. 

nursebonnie
on 1/17/15 7:46 am
VSG on 08/19/14

Thank you  That is good to know

hollykim
on 1/17/15 11:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM Pacific Time, xray_girl wrote:

Hi all! 

I just wanted to share this info i learned (quite by accident  ). At almost 2weeks post op i traveled 5hrs to start Ultrasound school (xray tech for many years). Apparently  the staples from our surgery do somewhat make it difficult  to get good pictures of organs on the left side (spleen'kidney). They cause similar  shadowing  like gas .

Soo, if you go for an abdominal  ultrasound inform them of your surgery so they won't think you ate  breakfast! That is all. 

most experienced radiologists can tell the difference between staples and gas on X-rays,just sayin...

xray_girl
on 1/17/15 11:53 am

That is true but i was not talking about x-rays. I was taking about ultrasound . 

hollykim
on 1/17/15 12:40 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 17, 2015 at 7:53 PM Pacific Time, xray_girl wrote:

That is true but i was not talking about x-rays. I was taking about ultrasound . 

same goes for ultrasound

xray_girl
on 1/17/15 12:52 pm

Well, for my own personal knowledge, could you explain to me how they tell the difference? 

StephK10
on 1/17/15 9:16 pm

The staples should "flash" on the screen.  Metal has a bright spray under radiography. Like you are using to seeing with x-rays. If you look "through" it with US briefly, without moving the probe, you might think it's gas at first.  But it will be stationary for the most part, unless they're pushing so hard that they shove around your stomach with the US probe.

Signed,

your friendly neighborhood ICU RN  :)

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

xray_girl
on 1/17/15 10:48 pm

Well thank you for some useful information!  We have been scanning each other a lot and our instructor  has seen just the shadowing from my staples and told me multiple  times i shouldn't have eaten (or told the person scanning to get off my ribs).  I was just trying to be helpful (obviously  I'm new to ultrasound  bc I'm in school but i not stupid). Thank you for at least being friendly. 

StephK10
on 1/17/15 11:13 pm

You're welcome!  The cool thing for you about US will be seeing movement. Fluid, babies, all sorts of stuff. :)  Plus, no lead! Have fun with school. :)

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

hollykim
on 1/17/15 11:55 pm, edited 1/17/15 11:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 18, 2015 at 6:48 AM Pacific Time, xray_girl wrote:

Well thank you for some useful information!  We have been scanning each other a lot and our instructor  has seen just the shadowing from my staples and told me multiple  times i shouldn't have eaten (or told the person scanning to get off my ribs).  I was just trying to be helpful (obviously  I'm new to ultrasound  bc I'm in school but i not stupid). Thank you for at least being friendly. 

I always try to be friendly and I don't in any way think you are stupid. 

Having a nursing background,I can't answer the question of what the difference is. That would be a question for a radiologist. 

My ought is if one can identify a penis on a fetus,then it shouldn't be a stretch to Think they can tell the difference between staples,which are a solid mass and gas ,which is free floating and amorphous.

what you and I are having here,is a difference of opinion. That is perfectly fine. I appreciate you not getting all poor me,wah,wah,somebody is being mean to me. 

I am often wrong,in my opinions. I am often. Right also. The key,for me,is to take correction gracefully and be glad I was corrected so I won't make that mistake again. I am not in any way saying you are wrong about this,please understand. It is simply my opinion about the matter. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views