Post-op Blues

Chilipepper
on 1/23/15 6:07 am

Really, serious question.  What was going through you head when you parked the car and opened the door and walked across the parking lot and walked in to the Slopway and over to the counter and placed your order?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

ipray
on 1/23/15 11:35 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Shame on you Chilipepper! That very judgemental! She is struggling and who are you to point fingers! (You should practice what you preach, especially from your Bob Marley quote!)

Chilipepper
on 1/24/15 4:49 am

I have never ate anything from a Slopway. That place smells like a stale dishrags. Walked in once years ago and turned around.  

Shame on you!  You know nothing about me.  I seriously wanted to understand what she was thinking as she got closer to the counter. She knew it was wrong and came here to have people say it's ok...that isn't support, that is enabling her. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Spanky123
on 1/23/15 7:17 am

WEll, I think most of the responses to your post have been a bit harsh. God, we all aren't a year out and have such a wonderful grip on our food relationships.  Yes, going to subway was wrong, I personally am only a month out and can only eat about a tablespoon at a time of pureed food, so I don't know how in the world you weren't in excrutiating pain.  It's sad to see that this board has become such a place of "tough love" and not just a place where people can get some constructive advice and a little understanding.  I don't think the OP was asking if it was ok if she ate subway, I think she was just asking if others are struggling like her, I think she realizes that subway was a mistake. Lo_ri_P, I feel sucky alot of days too, mostly bc of bowel issues..lol,... but I'm not enjoying eating or drinking at this point, just trying to get it all in. Good Luck

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/23/15 7:43 am

Please provide specific examples of said harshness.

It is far better for the OP to hear that she is on the wrong path now than later. She received a tremendous amount of constructive advice AND understanding. We understand that if issue are not dealt with they grow and are harder to deal with, much like cutting off one of the Hydra's heads.

No one is attacking the OP. We are giving her the benefit of our collective experience. Stick around long enough, and you will see recognize red flags as well.

Should we all just mutter, "There, there, dear"? Would that be at all helpful? You forget we all had to do these same things. It CAN be done. We didn't just sit on our duffs and expect our surgeries to be magic. We had to do the work and follow the rules.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

lo_ri_p
on 1/23/15 8:40 am - Ocala, FL

Thanks at least someone seems to understand the whole point to my post. 

hollykim
on 1/24/15 2:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM Pacific Time, lo_ri_p wrote:

Thanks at least someone seems to understand the whole point to my post. 

I understand that you were craving veggies. What I don't understNd,is why you didn't just go and get some plain veggies and eat them?

Itis not about the veggies as much as what you were thInking. Bread,subway and veggies appears to be a ccing helper for you. I am not judging you here,truly,I am working through the event. Bread is soothing to many of us,don't I know it. 

The thing that will help you most,is to try to pinpoint WHY we make the choices we do. Stress is an easy excuse for many things we do. But In reality,stress is really just life. We have learned that food helps us deal with life. 

What will help us most is using therapy or other means of helping us find out what else we can do besides eat our "life".

Amy M.
on 1/23/15 8:21 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Well, I'm not going to make any sarcastic comments about your "extended stall" or about how much you miss veggies.  I do agree that going to Subway was a dumb move (as you already know) but it's done and you obviously learned your lesson so it's time to move on and apply what you've learned to your habits going forward.  

When I was early out from surgery my plan from my NUT was practically attached to my hip.  I was constantly looking at it to see what things I could have if my head was telling me that I was craving something specific.  Utilize the examples and get creative.  At 7 weeks post op I don't really understand how you were even hungry enough to attempt to eat a sub.  If you were craving veggies why didn't you just boil a couple pieces of broccoli to have after your protein?  I'm nearly 6 months out and I'm still not really feeling hunger.  I'm not saying that I've been 100% perfect but I can tell you that while in weight loss mode I have not had any bread, pasta, baked goods, rice, etc.  I have however had the occasional piece of chocolate and I have eaten chicken wings.

At this stage just focus on adjusting to your new lifestyle.  You will be able to get yourself into an exercise routine again and following your meal plan will get easier and eventually become second nature to you.  Just hang in there.  Eventually your brain will catch up with your sleeve.

Flabaway
on 1/23/15 9:35 am
VSG on 01/05/15 with

This is interesting because I'm almost 3 weeks out and I do get hungry. I'll eat two tsps of cottage cheese and feel full but then a bit later I'm ravenous again. I was hoping i'd be one of the people who rarely felt hungry but I guess not. My body is constantly telling me it's wanting something more. I'm hoping that if I can start meeting my protein goal this will get better.

Amy M.
on 1/23/15 9:56 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

It's likely not actual hunger.  Are you taking a PPI like Prilosec or Nexium? Acid can mask as hunger and it's likely that's what it is.   If you are taking a PPI then it's probably just head hunger.  Your nerves were all severed during surgery so at only 3 weeks out you can't trust what your body is telling you.  Once you heal more that ravenous feeling will go away.  You'll see. 

Most Active