VENTING

Amy M.
on 1/21/15 10:54 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Sometimes I feel like I take 3 steps forward just to be knocked 5 steps back. I reached a huge milestone last week. I came off of a stall and dropped 5 lbs in 1 week. The big losses always happen for me after a stall. This 5 lb loss brought me over my 100lb loss so far. Woohoo right?  Sure. Except on Tuesday the scale showed a 2 lb gain which I figures was just regular fluctuation and then this morning showed an additional 3 lb gain. POOF the 5 lbs are back. Wtf. 

I know it is scientifically impossible for me to have actally gained 5 lbs but it's just frustrating to see on the scale. I had the 5 lb loss when I was off work a week due to gall bladder surgery. I was hardly moving every say and lost 5 lbs. Now that I'm back to work this week and more active I gain the 5 lbs back? STUPID!!!  

It's gotta be water weight. I have been feeling painfully bloated the last few days which is another frustration altogether. I feel like I drink fluids ALL DAY LONG but yet I still retain water. UGH! Who's with me?!

Kerry1969
on 1/21/15 11:17 pm
VSG on 11/17/14

I am right there with you. I had my gallbladder removed on Monday (I'm 9 /10 weeks out from VSG) and I have gained 5 pounds! How is that possible? I am expecting it to come off once the bloating and swelling goes down, but who knows! I think it is jus****er retention for you. Give it a few more days.

VSG with Dr. Barkan on November 17, 2014. HW 220, SW 210, CW 175

Amy M.
on 1/22/15 12:07 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thank you!  I wish you a speedy recovery!

Tracy D.
on 1/22/15 12:02 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You're right, it's water weight.  So you are letting the scale to determine your sense of satisfaction with your journey and your mood for the day.  Why are you giving a $30 piece of metal that kind of power over you?  

Scales are a great way to measure of the amount of inflammation in your body (water weight) and a lousy way to measure fat loss.   If you can't stay off the scale, or you can't give it's importance the proper place in your life, throw the piece of crap in the garbage and only use a tape measure and the fit of your clothes to determine FAT loss. 

Scales don't measure FAT loss well...and that's what you should be focused on.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amy M.
on 1/22/15 12:06 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I appreciate the tough love! I know I shouldn't let a lousy number on the scale determine my mood and satisfaction but it's soo hard especially when weight loss has become my LIFE!  My scale does have sensors that determine fat percentage but I don't trust it's accuracy. I should ask my boyfriend to hide the scale from me for a while. 

Tracy D.
on 1/22/15 12:18 am, edited 1/22/15 8:08 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Well there's your problem in a nutshell - neither your weight nor your weight loss should have ever become your LIFE!  You need to go out and get a life and stop focusing on the number on the scale.  And those "fat sensor" scales are notoriously wrong.  

This surgery is giving you the freedom to actually LIVE like you've always dreamed of.   Go do it, girl!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

BrendaRae
on 1/22/15 8:00 am
VSG on 01/13/15

Awesome post.  :-)

wyo_sarah
on 1/22/15 1:10 am

I was talking with an occupational therapist friend the other day, with another friend who is dieting.  I'm at a stall and so is my dieting friend.  The OT friend suggested a hot bath with epson salts.  She said that the salts help to alleviate inflammation in the body, which can cause water retention and also helps get toxins out of the body.  She said to take as hot as a bath as you can stand and use at least 2 cups of salt.  I'm going to try that to see if it helps me with my stall.  I don't know if it will, be it can't hurt.

Amy M.
on 1/22/15 1:18 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Interesting. Let me know if it works! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/15 2:11 am

Yes she is right it does work really well for inflammation in the tissues. Boy some of these stories are really starting to scare me. ugh lumps in throats that lasts for days having "funky feelings" whatever that means, having weird dreams about food, wishing they never did this it's really overwhelming for someone about to have the sleeve put on. whoa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views