starting pureed, feel lost

Oliviawashere
on 2/16/15 3:19 am

so today I start purees, I am aware of what I can eat but none of the quantity will get me to 60-80 grams of protein. I hate all unflavored protein powder, so there's a giant problem. I am to have 4-6 meals a day with 10-15 grams per meal. My egg salad for breakfast has me at 6. I can't choke a whole protein shake down in one setting, and my surgeon considers a shake a meal. I am just so lost because if I have to make 2-3 meals out of a protein shake, that leaves me really no room for anything else. Maybe I am just going about things all wrong...

cconroy55
on 2/16/15 3:39 am

You might want to try some protein drinks that aren't shakes.  I'm about to start purees tomorrow too.  I also have had a hard time getting a shake down in anything less than 90 minutes (supposed to be 55 minutes minimum anyway, since they are 11 ounces) but I am really enjoying the unjury chicken soup flavor, which you make with 8 ounces of water and has 21 grams of protein (4 more than my shakes!).  it is the consistency of broth, so it is much easier to get down and takes less time since it is only 8 ounces (and then i can get back to my water).  I also am liking the Bari Wise fruit drinks (from diet direct .com) for breakfast, since that seems like the hardest time for the shakes.  I'm also thinking i might be able to mix a little unflavored protein in with the purees, since there is more to cover up any texture issues...

conversation_starter
on 2/16/15 7:26 am

My doctor said I could puree chicken  and fish in the blender and add some liquid to make it softer during this stage.  Maybe you can puree chicken in with the injury chicken flavor you like so much. 

RE SLEEVE FEB 9TH, 2015

DR GILBERTO UNGSON 

MEXICALI BARIATRIC CENTER

rhudson
on 2/16/15 3:41 am - Melrose Park, IL
VSG on 12/09/14

I added non flavored protein powder to yogurt, sugar free pudding, refried beans, it did help.  My surgeon and his PA told me not to stress too much in the beginning if I couldn't get all the protein in, it was something they said I could work up to.  Getting the water in seemed more important.

Surgery Date: 12/9/14 - Highest Weight: 349 - Surgery Weight: 305 - Current Weight: 137
Goal reached in 13 months - 212 total pounds lost including pre-op
(M1: -20) (M2: -18) (M3: -11) (M4: -11) (M5: -14) (M6: -1) (M7: -18) (M8: -7) (M9: -15)

(M10: -13) (M11: -7) (M12: -10) (M13: -10) (M14 -6) (M15: -7) - 168 lbs lost post-op

Stacy_WLS
on 2/16/15 5:33 am

Water is definitely the most important, then protein.  I would definitely keep up with at least one shake a day -- that will give you 20-30 grams in one shot.  Then look for smooth things like yogurt to help.  Don't stuff yourself -- you are still healing, so stop when you feel full even if you aren't getting all the protein (add another shake later if needed).

You will get there!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Thebiggestloser
on 2/16/15 6:54 am
VSG on 11/19/14 with

I pureed meatloaf and chilli - I know it sounds a little weird but it was actually not bad - also a good way to get protein in without drinking a drink. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views