Frustrated

Banana14
on 2/14/15 2:22 am

I will be 4 months out as of Monday and I am down 51 pounds since I got home from the hospital (whi*****ludes excess water weight gained as I was re-admitted due to complications). I feel like I should be doing better. I walk 3 days a week or go to the gym depending on the weather. I know we aren't supposed to compare ourselves to others but I can't help but feel like I should be doing better. It's frustrating! Before surgery I lost 40lbs by myself by eating meat and veggies and I wonder if my body is just holding onto everything it can. I've gotten in the bad habit of drinking protein shakes in place of meals in an effort to get the scale to move more. I still can't eat a lot and haven't really incorporated a lot of veggies because I want to get all my protein in at this point.

Has anyone else felt this way? How did you cope? I'm thinking I will make an appointment with my NUT next week to get some insight and suggestions.

S.

Dan1962
on 2/14/15 3:26 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

You have lost 91 pounds in probably less than a year.  Sounds pretty incredible to me.  For the people that lost that much weight prior to surgery, their loss rate after surgery is slower.  I would focus on the big number.  I would also focus on the fact you are now eating better and exercising, stuff you probably didn't do before.  Living this better lifestyle will eventually return the results you are loping for.  Just stick with the program, eat dense proteins, minimum 64 oz of water, and don't focus on the scales.  It will come.

Latina63
on 2/14/15 4:46 am

Yeah I always thought I could lose a lot on my own too and I have...but it always came back...with the sleeve it will be very hard to gain a ton of weight back...unless of course you ate tons of BAD stuff and personally I think it's pert near impossible to eat a ton of stuff in one day. Just let the weight come off naturally and at it's own pace, I have heard that if you start slowing down on losing to either add more calories or cut back, it sounds like you will probably need to add some to trick your body...talk to your NUT...good luck

Kiwideb
on 2/14/15 5:05 am, edited 2/14/15 5:05 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Can I tout out the old 'muscle weighs more'? Possibly the scales aren't moving as much as your exercising more and losing inches? Not a bad thing, no?

Of course, we all get so tied up in the scale numbers it's hard to look past them. I've said I need to start weighing once a week, but I still get on them every morning.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/16/15 10:03 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Muscle does not weigh more than then fat. It just is denser and can take up more volume. A pound of fat weight the same as a pound of muscle.

SkinnyScientist
on 2/16/15 10:50 pm

Muscle is more dense than fat. With that said, I lost 2 inches in a month on my hips...but the scale didn't move that month at all.  I literally went from an 8/10 to a 6.

Hang in there

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Gwen M.
on 2/14/15 7:44 am, edited 2/15/15 10:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

51 pounds in 4 months is awesome.  That's over 10 pounds a month!  Way to go!  

Skipping meals for shakes to try to get the scale to move sounds dangerous to me.  You don't want to slip into disordered eating.  Making an appointment with your NUT seems wise.  Also trying to set yourself realistic expectations seems like a good idea.  Your weight loss is rocking.  :)  This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

denyray1
on 2/15/15 10:17 am

I will be 3 months out on Weds and I have been stuck right around the 52-54 lb weight loss mark for WEEKS. I have been feeling like a slow loser too so it's not just you. I'm starting the gym for the first time ever tomorrow in the hopes that will kick start the scale into moving again. Good luck to you. The struggle is real for a lot of us ;)

ElizaM
on 2/16/15 10:39 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Whenever I get frustrated with my progress, I make a point of evaluating my behavior. Have I let bad habits creep in? Am I doing all the right things?

If I am slipping into bad behavior, well, then I know what I need to do. 

If I can honestly say that I am doing everything right, and I have been logging my food and can see that, I try to relax. Because ultimately, the only thing I can control is what I do. I CANNOT directly influence the scale. If I'm doing all the right things, the scale should follow but it might not or it might not on my schedule but instead on its own. If I do all the right things and the scale doesn't budge, then I may just have to live with that. I might not lose all the weight I want to lose. I might not lose as fast as I want to lose. But at least I'll know I did everything I was supposed to do. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

SkinnyScientist
on 2/16/15 10:51 pm

You are doing great.  Not to compare, but I averaged 2-3 lbs a week with RNY.  That means 8-12 pounds a month average. You are ahead of my lowest months!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active