Being Thin Didn't Make Me Happy, But Being 'Fat' Does

MegZorar
on 2/17/15 8:48 am, edited 2/17/15 8:59 am

This was the title of a Huffington Post blog that ran today. Read the full article here: Being Thin Didn't Make Me Happy, But Being 'Fat' Does

Gwen M.
on 2/17/15 8:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MegZorar
on 2/17/15 9:00 am

Thanks for letting me know. Should work now.

Gwen M.
on 2/17/15 9:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The link does work now.  

I've read the article and it annoyed me in the way that all articles like this annoy me.  I don't think her happiness had anything to do with her weight, but her self esteem and self love.  Clearly, during this period, she has come to love herself and accept her body, and that's great.  I think people at any size should have body love and acceptance!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/15 10:02 am

I totally agree with Gwen.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/15 10:25 am

Interesting article. I get it. I do.

I think there comes a point in many people's lives that they learn to accept themselves for who they are and what they have. I'm not sure how much of it had to do with being thin or not, but I certainly relate with feeling embarrassed to enjoy "fattening" foods when one is fat. I like that she encourages people to eat without asking for forgiveness or making excuses - at least that was my interpretation near the end.

I also think it is a HELL OF A LOT EASIER to eat like a fat person. I never tracked food or monitored the scale when I was okay with being fat. I didn't give a **** if I ate two slices of pizza or four! Going to bed with a full belly was the norm and I was okay with it on a certain level. Sure, I hated the way I looked and sometimes felt, but it was EASY. Grabbing whatever is far easier than planning meals, counting carbs and protein and drinking ****loads of water.

Let's be honest, EATING HEALTHY IN TODAY'S AMERICA TAKES WORK!

If I had not cared about my health, I would still be fat. But I do care about my health and that's why I did what I did. If I had been fat and healthy I might have had different feelings. But I wasn't healthy, so here I am.

MegZorar
on 2/18/15 10:59 am

Great point. Eating like a fat person is easy--too easy.

gmantek
on 2/17/15 11:50 pm

I just read this, and I'm still processing a little, but my first thoughts are this (similar to Gwen's thoughts above). She was obviously not a healthy thin person. She had some serious head issues that needed to be worked out.  She was obsessed.  Seems like when she gained the weight, she had no choice but to let go of those obsessions as life's challenges took over.  Thus she's happier.  I don't think that is all about being fat and happy. 

We are all here because we were fat and wanted to be healthy.  In turn, good health brings happiness.  But good health is mind and body which she didn't have. It's a struggle that I don't think she ever overcame.

So I'm not sure I like the message she's sending - she's telling us be fat and happy no strings attached.  No mention of the health problems that come with being fat, only the freedom she feels.  I get that it's her story, but I don't like that she's encouraging just sort of giving up.  I bet if she saw a therapist and worked on her head she would have had the same outcome with a healthier body.

Superchunk77
on 2/18/15 12:45 am

She is bipolar, she will change her mind tomorrow.  My self worth has nothing to do with the size of my jeans. I have been happy at all sizes. I have been loved at all sizes. 

Nmmsg
on 2/18/15 9:05 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

At 63 I did this surgery to get healthy.  All of my first cousins died before they were 80, most in their early 70's.  I have too much to do yet.  My sister died at 33 and my brother at 49 from melanoma.  When a second cousin had a stroke at 55 after breast cancer surgery it was a huge wake up call for me.  

I am happier thinner and have more confidence.  I feel pretty.  I had a weight problem my whole life.  For me this is way better. I thought I accepted myself as I was and in a lot of ways I did.  Clearly, I am happier now.  Just my two cents.....

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views