Abnormal EKG

midiva
on 2/18/15 7:08 am - MD

So my EKG was abnormal so now I have to see a cardiologist for clearance and my surgery is scheduled for Monday.  I had an abnormal EKG a year ago and the echocardiogram was fine.  I am praying and hoping that all is well.  Has this happened to any of you?  Any words of encouragement are appreciated.  

Had low calcium as well but a repeat of the labs yesterday showed normal calcium.  All other labs are normal.

:

mickeymantle
on 2/18/15 7:12 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it is common for obese people to have funny waves on there ekg I did and seen a cardiologist  and did a stress test and was then cleared

you may be delayed for your surgery but better safe than dead

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

midiva
on 2/18/15 7:18 am - MD

I completely agree.  I am glad that my doctor are taking extra precautions to ensure my safety and a successful surgery.

:

Journey2be
on 2/18/15 7:20 am

I also have to get a stress test and an echo for clearance and I'm 32, I have palpitations so they're being extra cautious even though the cardiologist says he isn't too concerned. But I take a beta blocker now for tachycardia and it's brought down my heartrate which was often in the 115 range, but it hasn't done anything for the flutters. While I was annoyed to have to do more testing I said the same thing to my husband that the previous poster said, "better safe than dead". My hubby agreed. ;)

LeapSecond
on 2/18/15 8:04 am - AR

I guess I've been on both sides of this.  Worry and not worry.  About 1 1/2 years ago I had an EKG that showed an old heart attack. Went to the cardiologist and he said don't worry.  You have to be very careful on lead placement on obese people.  Then preop I had an EKG on a Friday before surgery on Monday. It showed a-fib. The cardiologist said they can work with a-fib but the weight was going to kill me.  He changed some meds and cleared me for surgery.  take whatever time you need to get cleared it will be safer.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

drea29
on 2/18/15 8:17 am

I started having an abnormal EKG a few years ago.  Needed cardiac clearance before surgery and they did all the tests and cleared me.  I had one recently at an ER as I was in a car accident.  When I followed up with my PCP, she said it was abnormal, but unchanged.  She said it had something to do with a dilated left ventricle. She recommended I see a cardiologist.  However, whatever is wrong it did not prevent me from having the surgery.  Wishing you well.

Judi47
on 2/18/15 8:43 am - Boston, MA

I had the same thing happen to me, I had to go for an echo and they said everything was fine.  The worst thing is waiting for the appt.

midiva
on 2/18/15 9:38 am - MD

Thanks everyone.  Sharing your experiences has made me feel at ease.  

:

GoBlueGirl1998
on 2/18/15 10:26 am - MI

I had an abonormal EKG too. My second one was fine. The cardiologist thinks that the leads were placed incorrectly. Its better to be safe than sorry. Good luck and please update to what happens!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

midiva
on 2/20/15 11:39 am - MD

Hey Everyone!  All is well and I was cleared for surgery.  Thanks for your support.

:

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views