Getting started... still not sure.

joy62
on 3/11/15 11:16 am

52 years young 306 lbs. Went to info meeting, interview done,paper work being sent of all testing I need to have done. Appointment with surgeon ,nutritionist and psychologist  set for April  7th. Having doubts if I am doing the right thing. Worried about having long term complications and failing at losing weight.

Gwen M.
on 3/11/15 11:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think these are things that we all worry about a bit before surgery.  I know I worried I would be the one person this surgery didn't work for but.. here I am a year later and I've lost 135 pounds.  So that's pretty awesome :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

poplargreys
on 3/11/15 12:34 pm, edited 3/11/15 12:34 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

When I first sought out ObesityHelp, I wasn't sure either. I read and researched and soul-searched for almost an entire year before I even submitted my packet to start the approval process, and even at that point I wasn't sure. I am in the three week countdown to surgery now and absolutely sure that this is the right decision for me, but this wasn't a snap decision. Do I wish I could wake up tomorrow and not need bariatric surgery? Yeah, because that would be a lot easier! But I want to live the longest, healthies, happiest life I can, and I feel that this tool will help me do precisely that. Only you can decide if this is the right thing for YOU, and I wish you luck in your journey.

mickeymantle
on 3/11/15 4:06 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I wish I did it 10 years earlier best thing I ever did

it works almost every time unless you don't follow your surgeons plan

300 lb quickly becomes 400 and the older you get the harder it is to keep off , especially  when your knees and back start hurting all the time and it gets hard to walk , then you get diabetes , high blood pressure , ect 

this is a very safe surgery if done by a skilled surgeon , weighting 300-400 lb will kill you for shore ,plus look at all the fun you are missing because you don't fit or can keep up

surgery is scary but a slow death is also scary

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

jkmcnult
on 3/11/15 8:30 pm - golden, CO

Yup, it scared me to death to. I'm almost 6 months out now and have no regrets! 

Valerie G.
on 3/12/15 2:29 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Long=term complications are very slim with the sleeve since you have a fully functioning stomach with all moving parts intact.  If your body requires more than restriction, it may not be enough to reach your goal.  You will need to figure that out yourself reflecting on your weight and diet history. 

On the other hand, if you don't eat as you should, you are subject to gaining as well.  We all eat low carb, some of us need more protein and fat than others, but simple carbs are always the devil

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

psychoticparrot
on 3/12/15 3:50 am

As I've heard said, "You can change your mind right up until they administer the anesthesia."

In the meantime, read, learn, listen.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active