More questions....thanks for your patience!

C J
on 3/17/15 1:43 am - , TN

Tell me about:

Hair Loss

Getting in fluids

and yes, Bowel Movements (are they normal)

Living > Existing

256/231/135

wyo_sarah
on 3/17/15 1:47 am

I'm 7.5 months post op.  Hair loss for me has been awful.  I've lost at least half my hair.  But, when I was getting it cut and colored the other day, my stylist noticed some little short hairs so hopefully it is coming  back.

Getting in fluids was tough in the beginning because I felt full all the time and it was hard to drink.  Now, it isn't so bad, as long as I remember to keep my water with me all day and keep drinking.  I hate having to pee so much, though!  I really like to drink water so that has been easy for me. I know a lot of people out there don't like water and have a harder time than me.

Bowel movements have been pretty normal for me until  this last week.  I'm not sure what is going on (but other people in my family have been having stomach issues too).  I drank a protein shake last night and added some Miralax and that has seemed to help.  I think I might keep doing that every other day or so.

stephankie
on 3/17/15 2:18 am - Midlothian, TX

I had some hair loss, but my butt was shrinking too, so I didn't really care.  :)  Just keep up with your protien, and it will be minimal.  Everyone is different, though.  You may not lose any at all. 

Fluids and Poop go hand in hand.  Right after surgery, it is difficult to get all of you water in, just make sure you sip constantly.  I had one incident where I obviously did not get enough fluid, and had a major bout of constipation.  I almost had my husband take me to the ER.  Without going into detail, just know that I did what I could to "move" the stuff.  Keep drinking your water, and that will help tons.  Also, glycerin suppositories became my new best friend.  Also, remember that you are putting far less into your body, so you will have far less coming out. Don't panic that it isn't what you are used to. 

Good luck, you will do GREAT!

mickeymantle
on 3/17/15 2:44 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I had no hair lose maybe because Im a slow loser but I lost over 175 lb

m the first few weeks on liquid diet diarrhea  is common after on all solid food constipation is common  and I found out after oked by my surgeon that 2 cups a coffee a day helps alot

also I try to eat high fiber veggies as much as possible  at least 1 meal a day 

when plugged up only MOM works for me ,

but I never get diarrhea  like people with the ds commonly get 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

momsy55
on 3/17/15 2:54 am - ME

Everyone's experience is different -

Hair loss:  I was extremely lucky and had no hair loss.  I kept waiting for it to happen, and it never did.  I didn't do anything special.  I just worked hard to get in all my fluids and protein, though others do so as well, but still experience hair loss.

Fluids:  It's hard early on.  What I did was experiment with different beverages and temps.  Your senses of smell and taste may get heightened for awhile, which happened to me, so drinks I always liked (especially water) smelled and/or tasted horrible to me.  I found icy cold and hot worked best.  Sugar free popsicle went down easily, and I sucked on them continually - the amount that I swallowed at a time was so small, there was no discomfort.  Each one is only 2 oz., but they added up quickly.  I also found hot broths, creamed soups and herbal teas went down well too.  Protein shakes were a bit harder, but I kept at it, as they counted as both fluids and protein.  As time goes on and your sleeve heals, getting in the fluids gets even easier.  My enjoyment of water returned as well, so I sipped on it all day long. 

Bowels:  Some folks experience the runs early on - I had the opposite problem.  It took MOM on day 9 to blast me out.  Since then, I've used fiber gummies, and the occasional Smooth Move tea.  If I had it to do all over again, I'd check with the WLS program before surgery to ask what to use daily to keep things moving along.  Once you can add foods higher in fiber, things get better, though you may or may not still have to use something to regulate.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Bufflehead
on 3/17/15 3:01 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Hair Loss

I lost a lot of hair, and I was already experiencing severe hair loss before surgery due to bad genetics (thanks mom!). I got in all my protein every day, took my vitamins plus extra zinc and biotin, and none of that helped. I would gladly lose every hair on my head to experience the benefits of this surgery. Okay, maybe not gladly, buit without complaint.

Getting in fluids

Not a problem for me. I just worked on sipping throughout the day during early days, and then as time progressed and I was able to drink more normally, I made sure to track my fluid intake to make sure I was on track. It helped to have a variety of types of liquids and a variety of temperatures available. I did better with warm drinks than cold for the first few weeks after surgery. Getting in fluids was my number one priority and it didn't really matter to me if I "liked" the taste of something or not. Fluids are not about liking, disliking, entertainment, boredom, interest -- they are just something you have to do.

and yes, Bowel Movements (are they normal)

they have been for me but I have never had a problem in that regard, before surgery or after. 

Gwen M.
on 3/17/15 4:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hair loss - I shaved my head to raise money for children's cancer research 6 weeks post op.  I haven't noticed any significant hair loss as it has grown back.  

Fluids - I'm one of the lucky ones and I've never had any feeling of restriction from fluids.  It can be a pain to remember that I need to drink, but that's all mental.  I've had no physical problem getting my fluids in and I haven't since the first day home from surgery.  

Bowel movements - I've been constipated 3 times post-op and each time has sucked a lot.  I had to use an enema last time.  Since then, since it was miserable, I've been doing a dose of Miralax in my daily shake and that seems to be doing the trick.  Otherwise, I pretty much poop every morning and they're normal.  Well, better than normal since pre-op I had lots of bowel issues.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/17/15 5:05 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Hair shedding was traumatic, but I was aware that it could happen and dealt with it.  It started at 3-1/2 months post surgery and seemed to resolve by the ninth month.  The most annoying part is the fly away regrowth.  I felt like Dennis the Menace.

Getting in fluids is difficult right after surgery, but it is a MUST.  You have to sip slowly and often. Over time I found that I can drink just as much in one gulp as I did prior to surgery.  I get in at least 64 ounces every day, more average closer to 80-90.

Because of the high protein intake, I find it most helpful to mix in about a half a capful of Miralax in my morning shake five days a week, plus I take two Fiber Gummies daily.  If I do this, I am regular every day.  And making sure you get in plenty of fluids is even more important to keep everything moving.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Valerie G.
on 3/17/15 5:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hair Loss - google Telogen Effluvium.  It happens 2-3 months post-op, lasts a few months and stops.  No extra protein or supplement will prevent or treat it.  It's new hair pushing out old.  Just get a layered cut to blend in that new growth when it comes.

Fluids - a MUST from the moment they remove the IV from your arm.  64oz is the minimum, and it's HARD.  Try different flavors and temperatures.

Bowel movements - iffy at first, but should regulate as soon as you're off pain meds.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views