Fed Up

C J
on 3/17/15 1:55 am, edited 3/17/15 3:41 am - , TN

With all of the questions I have been asking, and all of the wonderful answers I have been given, I thought I would post something helpful.  I read a lot of people that still strugle with simple carbs and sugar.  I want to encourage you to do two things.  Firs****ch the documenary "Fed Up"... It can be rented on Amazon.  This is a very sobering movie about the sugar industry, and the control they have on EVERYONE! It is very informative.  Second, I would like everyone to google "Sugar Busters".  It is a book that helps explain sugars effect on the body...it can be purchased for next to nothing, but much info is available just by looking online.  I know how addictive sugar can be, and I want you to know that you can break free.  I DID!  I stopped sugar cold turkey.   If it is in the first five ingredients on a food, I do not eat it.  The first few days were brutal, but after that my cravings decreased significantly...Now, I can honestly take it or leave it, and I LEAVE IT!  I have lost weight  just doing this, and my depression has improved tremendously!!!  I am going to continue to persue vsg bc I simply eat too much!  I need this tool to help control that beast!!!!  I know people are fearful of giving up their dear friend, sugar, but when you do, the reward is incredible.  Also, I use Bergamot, an essential oil that helps with stress eating.  Good stuff... Ameo is the best oil for me.  Just thought I'd throw that out there!!  Have a Blessed Day!!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/15 2:39 am

Thanks for posting this. I am researching wls and am struggling with how to be a success when I have horrible sugar cravings. This info I hope will get me to where I have more control b4 I I commit to surgery. 

C J
on 3/17/15 2:45 am - , TN

Fed Up will open your eyes, and explain a lot!  Let me know how you like both the book and the movie please :))

Living > Existing

256/231/135

momsy55
on 3/17/15 2:56 am - ME

I bought "Sugar Busters" years ago, but never really read it through.  I'll have to check it out again.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

C J
on 3/18/15 12:18 am - , TN

Watch fed up as well.  Sugar Busters is an oldie, BUT GOODIE...fed up kind of includes what newer scientific evedience has added as of late.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

ABair
on 3/17/15 2:58 am
VSG on 01/14/15

CJ,

I had VSG surgery on January 14, 2015.  I started this journey on Aug.6th and decided that I was going to make the surgery transition as easy as possible.  I did exactly that I detoxed from sugar, and ate minimal carbs.  I lost 60 pounds prior to my surgery.  Doing this made the VSG eating transition a breeze.  Yes the first two weeks of detox were awful, but once your through it its DONE!!  I have no cravings for sugar, and it appeal is gone.  The VSG was not a problem go for it!  You will find it not bad since you already took the first hurdle, and changed your eating habits with removing the sugar.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Lisa 

C J
on 3/17/15 3:34 am - , TN

Now, that's what I like to hear :)))

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Gwen M.
on 3/17/15 4:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My parents did Sugar Busters a while ago and, in retrospect, I think it was pretty misguided.  It told them that they could eat all the fructose they wanted, and it was just sucrose that is a problem.  Of course, current research shows that fructose is just as bad as sucrose, so that's definitely a bad plan.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

C J
on 3/17/15 5:49 am - , TN

I thought sugar busters only allowed fructose from fruit.  Fruit does have fructose, but it also has fiber.  Our Creator was so brilliant.  When he put poision in something, he also added the antidote:)  Also, Fed Up speaks of the evils of sugar...ALL SUGAR. It talks about how fructose can only be metabolized by the liver, and all the havoc it reaks as a result. I think the combination is incredible.  Dr. Robert Lustig is interviewed in "Fed Up", and he is incredible.  He has taken on the sugar industry, and hopefully he will win.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

zann50
on 3/17/15 5:00 am

Through all my years of dieting prior to VSG, I have always read, been told etc. to avoid all the "fake" sugars that end in "tose".  Not so good for us.  I am not familiar with Sugar Busters but, I would think, by now, we all know that artificial substitutes are not good.  Diabetics have to deal with this on a daily basis.  I know my pre-diet of Optifast was full of sugar.  Our NUTS even cautioned us about thinking we could drink the protein shakes post surgery.  Did I lose wt. using them?  Oh heck yes...go figure!

Zann

VGS- 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views