7 weeks out...what are you eating?

clarkahill
on 3/17/15 1:30 pm

I had surgery 7 weeks ago...I have had a very hard time moving past the blender stage...infact I still am having a hard time eating meat.  So I am curious what are you eating at 7 weeks out?

My go to is greek yogart, protein shakes, refried beans, almost any soup...I tried string cheese today & I could get it down, but I was hungry again fairly quick.  I can eat saltine crackers too, which have helped some (although I do not eat very many).

Oneillch
on 3/17/15 2:16 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

I was so happy to leave the puree stage. For soft food proteins try fish such as salmon, swai or tilapia and keep the cooking process moist (poached or steamed with some seasoning). Egg (hard boiled & chopped in a food processor) or tuna, mixed with a tsp. of light mayo, or a scrambled egg, sometimes with melted cheese. I'm also ok with shrimp, but very tiny pieces & chewed very well, same with pot roast or deli ham. I'll have roast beef, but it has to be rare and very thin sliced.

If I have room after my protein, then I'll have a very well cooked non-starchy veggie with light butter or a sprinkle of Butter Buds or Molly McButter & garlic powder.

I haven't tried crackers, but have had an occasional slice of Pepperidge Farm's thin sliced wheat bread, lightly toasted with either light butter or sf apricot preserve.

Tonight for St Patty's Day I made what I've named a reuben roll (1 oz slice of corned beef rolled around 1 oz slice of swiss cheese & 1 oz of sauerkraut and heated in the microwave to melt the cheese). I cut it in very small pieces and ate most of it, then finished the rest of it later on.  

Hope this helps.

mickeymantle
on 3/17/15 3:49 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i was allowed all food at 2 weeks I started with softer stuff

one of my favorites was Gorden's grilled tilopia  , It comes in a parchment bag and you just throw them in a toaster oven to cook

tuna salad is also very good and omelets are great I love a omelet with smoked salmon  in it lots of protien and taste great 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

psychoticparrot
on 3/18/15 3:46 am

My program does not let anyone stay in the pureed stage for more than one week (about 2 weeks post-op). The idea is that pureed foods are easy to get down, and the danger is that the patient may become dependent on them, slowing weight loss. 

I'm a little over 6 weeks out, and have been eating soft foods (soft-boiled eggs, crock-pot meat, tuna salad) for the last two weeks. If you can chew it up to applesauce consistency, it's okay to eat. It will also fill you up quicker and you will feel full longer.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Jamie86
on 3/18/15 3:58 am - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

Oh My... thats interesting, My plan is 4 weeks Full Fluids, 4 weeks purees and 4 weeks soft foods following surgery! 

I never thought about getting dependent on them. 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

psychoticparrot
on 3/18/15 4:03 am

Every program is different. All depends on the surgeon. If that's the plan they want you to follow, then you should probably do that.

I've heard of plans so liberal that after one week of liquids, patients are allowed to eat whatever they want, as long as they're careful.

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views