Sleeve diet

Elaine C.
on 3/22/15 8:01 am, edited 3/22/15 8:13 am - Canada
VSG on 03/17/15

I'm in Canada so I don't know what the US recommends, but the bariatric surgery team I have suggested to follow the Canada Food Guide (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/alt_formats/hpfb-dgpsa/pdf/food-guide-aliment/print_eatwell_bienmang-eng.pdf) as set forth by Health Canada (which I believe is the equivalent of the FDA in the US).  I got my sleeve on Tuesday (March 17) and when I'm on full foods, I obviously won't be able to eat everything the guide recommends.  The team did suggest that I try to get something of everything from it, however, protein first. 

Carbs in moderation is ok, but it also depends on what carbs you eat.  I learned this last summer when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  Whole grains foods like pasta, rice, bread and the likes are much better for you than the processed ones (white bread, rice, pasta, etc).  The problem I have with most carb products like bread that you buy in the stores, is that they have so much crap in them, especially high fructose corn syrup (which is horrendously bad for anyone but with the more weight you have, the worse it is).  Last winter we got our own breadmaker.  You just dump the ingredients in and the machine does everything for you.  Pizza dough (whole grain, not only white) is fantastic from it.  My blood sugar didn't spike like it would with something from a chain pizza place. 

If anyone is going to have oatmeal, they need to be sensible about it.  Going for steel cut oats is much better for you than processed instant oatmeal.  Excessive carbs which most people consume, are responsible for how your body stores/uses fat.  For all those carbs you consume, if your body doesn't use them that day, it's stored as fat by your liver.   I did hear about a study once that came out several years ago when then Atkins diet was really popular that if you deprive your body of carbs for too long, eventually it will start using the protein you consume as carbs.  In other words, you liver would start to metabolize the protein like it should for carbs.  Not all carbs are created equally, it's just up to each of us to research what we're putting into our mouths and be sensible about it.  :-)

LovesDoggs
on 3/23/15 5:20 am - Clayton, CA

My doc limited my carbs strictly.  Nothing white, carbs from green veggies only.   When I eat them (carbs)  I don't lose weight as quickly.  It's pretty obvious when I track what I eat and what I lose.  The correlation is profound.   So, when I follow my doctors orders...lean meat and dark green veggies...I stay on track.  When I eat carbs everything slows down.

I'd follow my doctors orders if I were you but I'd also keep a chart on your bathroom mirror and look at it every day.  Track those carbs. Watch what happens.  If you inform yourself and keep yourself honest through tracking you'll do great.  

We all want to eat the carbs. There will always be people out there that can eat more than others.  But this is the time for YOU!!! 

T. Kaupp

HW 241 SW 226 GW 140  CW 3/23/15   147   I can do this!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views