final stretch

Tricia R.
on 4/10/15 12:19 pm

Just completed 5 out if the 6 months required for surgery.  Only need to lose 2 more pounds.  Did anyone else get extremely nervous as the end approached?  Still nervous on if insurance will even approve.  I know soon I need to start just liquids which worries me as well. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with hunger pains when starting this? 

MyTurn2012
on 4/10/15 1:06 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

I'm on 3 weeks liquids preop right now, have 12 more days to go...amazingly not all that hungry. Every once and a while I'll have a craving but not real hunger.  Keep yourself busy busy..drink lots of water!  I'll admit the first few days you are going to feel lousy..a hangover like headache or flu like sympthoms. Just take it easy those days..I suggest if you can start on a Thursday because the worst days will hit you on the weekend...day 3-4.  Be conscious constipation could be a problem too. You might find as time goes on you have a bit more energy too ;-)    And before you know it you'll be done this part and on to the next!   

Tricia R.
on 4/10/15 1:17 pm

Thank you!  It's nice when there's honesty.  Not sure doctors always tell you what exactly to expect =) I am thinking I'm going to slowly cut back on food and learn more towards liquids that way I get used to it instead of just suddenly cutting out food. 

psychoticparrot
on 4/11/15 2:01 pm

I was on only one week of pre-op liquids, so maybe my experience doesn't count. The protein shakes fill you up pretty well. I wasn't very hungry. The thing that was hard for me was all that sweetness. I drank broth pretty often to take a break from it. One nice side benefit from all those sickly sweet liquids is that I've not had a craving for anything sweet since my surgery.

Personally, I wouldn't cut back on foods and introduce the liquids gradually. You're going to be drinking those liquids for at least several weeks before and after surgery. You will probably get sick of them by the time you don't need them anymore. Enjoy your food while you can. Fortunately, you will again enjoy food when you get to that stage post-op; just not very much at a time. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Tricia R.
on 4/13/15 11:27 am

You're right =) I enjoy my food to an extent, just much more healthier and a much smaller portion size.  To be honest, thinking about it I'm not even sure how I managed to eat as much as I did prior.  I eat about 1/3 of what i used to.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views