I got a date! And recovery/work questions

Tauret
on 4/16/15 7:22 am

Hello all. I have a date for my surgery! I will go in May 19 for my VSG with Dr. Prachand at U of Chicago. 

My question at the moment is about recovery. I do a work at home desk job and I'm wondering if you think it's reasonable to expect to be back at work within 2 weeks of surgery. I only get 60% salary for short term disability, so I really need to be back asap. 

Thanks for your insight!

5'9 HW 275 (BMI 40.6) SW (5/19/15) 253 CW 235 (BMI 34.8)

Week 1  (-9) Week 2 (-6) Week 3 (-3) Week 4 (-2) 

GW 140

Michele H.
on 4/16/15 8:10 am - NJ

I was back to work at a desk job at 2 weeks, no issues

Michele

TREVORSMOM91
on 4/16/15 12:02 pm
with

I had my surgery on March 24th and had to be in a Certification class on March 31st and April 1st then I went into the office for one day and worked at home the next.  I think you will do absolutely fine especially taking 2 full weeks.  My biggest problem now is I am still pretty tired.  I work in the office 3 days a week and at home the other 2 plus a long commute.  It will be so much easier for you to be comfortable and working at home.  Good luck with your surgery!!  You will do great!!

K. Walker
on 4/16/15 1:04 pm

I had surgery Wednesday and was released from the hospital on Friday and worked Monday. I also work from my desk at home.  I felt much better after the surgery than before minus sensitive tummy spots. My blood pressure and sugar levels started improving during the liquid diet phase and I started feeling better at that point. 

Its a a wonderful feeling being healthy. I have a ways to go before I meet goal, but if I don't lose another pound, this would have been worth a million dollars to me. I have won the lottery....the weight loss surgery lottery. Good luck. 

Weight: Highest 181 / Pre-op 177 / Surgery 167

Weight: Current 145 / Goal 105

Weight: Lost 36 pounds from highest weight (started weight loss surgery process)

4 Feet 11 Inches / BMI 35 @ Surgery

VSG Surgery Date 01/07/2015

Jules708
on 4/16/15 5:53 pm

I went back to work one week post op. I did fine from a pain perspective and in getting around. The only thing that I found difficult is the fatigue.  From that perspective, I wish I would have taken another week.  I had my surgery in March with Dr Prachand. I had a really good experience. After surgery, my highest pain score was probably a 6. I was surprised that the recovery wasn't too bad. I did get sick from the anesthesia and pain meds, so I stopped pressing the pain button once I realized it made me sick.  I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. 

Good luck to you! 

Tauret
on 4/16/15 9:14 pm

Thanks everyone for that information! It's really heartening and helpful. Can't wait for May!

5'9 HW 275 (BMI 40.6) SW (5/19/15) 253 CW 235 (BMI 34.8)

Week 1  (-9) Week 2 (-6) Week 3 (-3) Week 4 (-2) 

GW 140

drtrasi
on 4/17/15 5:47 pm

Good Luck to you! My surgery is April 29th- and I too work an at home desk job.  I made the decision to take three weeks off, to get myself recovered and ready.  Course, I work late nights/overnights so mostly Im taking the extra time to make sure the fatigue issue is resolved :)  Now lets see if I can stay away that long, knowing the "office" is just steps away!  :)  In talking to others I work with who've had the same surgery, some have come back less than a week later, so I guess its all in what YOU feel you can handle. 

Valerie G.
on 4/18/15 1:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do you have to make critical decisions with your job?  Even though you're able to move well enough to get to your desk, the anesthesia fog can really do a number on your thought process for several weeks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views