6 days post-op and MISERABLE - need a Pep Talk

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 12:08 am

I have not heard of it. I will look into it. Thanks!

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

Linda Paro
on 4/19/15 11:38 pm - Seneca, KS

I will be 8 weeks post-op on friday and in the beginning I was really sorry that I had had surgery.  But now I am very happy about the results.  I don't get headaches, but have found that I can't eat a lot of things that I could before.  My new stomach is very sensitive, but I am still happy.  I was vomiting some things (ate to fast & to much) and a few things (protein drink & milk products) went right thru me.  My support group is only once a month also and 1 1/2 hours away from me.  So I can't get there enough.  This is the only place I can get help also.  It is really hard in the first few weeks, but believe me it is worth it.  The time will go by fast and I'm sure you will feel the same as me after you get through the first few weeks.  Keep you head up and know that it WILL get easier and better.  I have no advise on the sugar issue as that is one thing that doesn't bother me.  I will be praying for you.

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 12:07 am

Thank you. That is exactly what I need.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

ElizaM
on 4/19/15 11:40 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

That you have 8 more days until full liquids, IMO, is crazy. I was on full liquids as soon as I came home from the hospital. What's the difference between a prepared shake and a glass of milk? It's so arbitrary and stupid. If I were in your shoes, being totally honest, I would go to full liquids. Which, for me, was thinned out yogurt, milk, protein shakes, cream soups.

I know it's verboten to suggest going against doctor's orders, but I did. I was supposed to crush all my medication for a month post op. I gagged and nearly threw up every time I tried to eat them, no matter the preparation. I knew I couldn't keep it up for a month. I did my homework and came to the conclusion that there was no reason to crush my medicine the ASBMS doesn't say you need to, for instance), so I swallowed pills whole. My point is that you have to be your own advocate, and doctors and nutritionists aren't always right...

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 12:11 am

Thank you. I'll probably start adding a little bit of milk in today just to see how it goes (make sure it doesn't make me sick or go right through me!)

I don't really crush anything. The RN (who is also a veteran) told me that I can't swallow anything bigger than the eraser of a pencil. So I just chop things up so that they're that small, which is usually in 1/2 or 1/4. I am looking forward to the chewable B-50, though. That pill is nasty even whole!!!

CGCL
on 4/20/15 12:29 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

I hate B vitamins too! It's the yeastyness or something, very stinky to me. But luckily one of the acceptable ones on my dietitian's recommendations is the Twinlab B-100 caps. Because it's encased in a capsule I have happily learned the is no taste Nd very little smell. I've been able to successfully swallow these since about week two. 

Oh, and I wanted to come in here that I was on clear liquids post op until I got hungry or two weeks out, whichever came first. Then I could go on To soft food like yogurt and well moistened tuna. I wasn't hungry til about ten days out. Keep in mind though that I had no liquid preop diet so wasn't already weak from that :)

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Luvmygs
on 4/20/15 1:20 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Congratulations on your surgery! I know what you mean about feeling miserable right after surgery. I'm sure I said several times "what the hell was I thinking"! But, it does get so much better. I had a hard time in the beginning and found out I was allergic to Whey, so I started having eggwhite protein with 1 tablespoon of cocoa and 4 slices of banana in my bullet. I was also having issues with broth, I was sick of broth. So my NUT told me to go out and buy my favorite soup and strain it. I bought Progresso Chicken noodle soup at first, strained out all the chicken, vegetables and noodles and it tasted wonderful! Hang-in-there, trust us when we say it will get better.   Christine

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 1:27 am

Thank you so much, Christine. Allergic to whey! Wow. I'm glad you were able to get eggwhite protein.

I have the Cuisinart version of the bullet. It's awesome. I actually found a good shake mix for this morning. Ice, water, unflavored protein isolate powder, a scoop (tbsp) of reduced-sugar quick, drop of vanilla extract and a shake of cinnamon. Best yet. When I get into the mushy phase, I'm definitely introducing the banana. I was doing that - plus other fresh and frozen fruit - in my shakes before surgery and it was wonderful.

ladygodiva1228
on 4/20/15 10:27 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Not sure if you like pumpkin pie, but mccormick has a pumpkin pie spice when mixed with some almond milk and unflavored protein tastes like a pumpkin pie shake.  Just a thought. 

When using the extracts remember a little goes a long way. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Stacy_WLS
on 4/20/15 1:24 am

I was in the same spot you are in - so miserable on the clear liquids.  My mom made me have a protein shake on Sunday (4 days out) I was supposed to be on clears for 7 days.  My entire demeanor changed.  I spoke to the doctor on Monday and they old k'd that I advance to full liquids early.  

Definitely check with them.  Clear liquids is incredibly hard and your body just starts to break down.  

Things get get better very quickly once you can get some calories and protein.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active