6 days post-op and MISERABLE - need a Pep Talk

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 1:31 am

Thanks, Stacy. Moms always know best, right? My poor mom is trying everything she can do to help me. It's hard because I still can't drive, so I can't get out to the store on my own. So I try to give her a shopping list and she gets what I ask for. If I forget something, it's a 20 minute drive back to the closest grocery store. (I'm staying with them and they're kind of in an area that tries to be "rural" while still being kind of suburban.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

momsy55
on 4/20/15 1:34 am - ME

So sorry you're experiencing this!  :(  I agree with Kairk to call your surgeon's or the NUT.  All program guidelines are a little different.  The program I had my surgery with allowed full liquids right away, and soft/mushy foods were allowed after my 2 week follow-up, with full solids coming at 6 weeks.  During the liquid stage, I had greek yogurt, and even went out to lunch and had strained tomato basil soup about a week or so after surgery.  Someone talked here about Hin****er the other day, which is flavored with only fruit oils and essences - no sugar or sugar substitutes.  That might give you a little more variety - you could even freeze some to make your own popsicles.  Best of luck to you and keep us posted!   Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/20/15 4:58 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Try adding one tablespoon of sugar free Jello pudding mix to your shakes, a couple of ice cubes and mixing it in a blender.  It really helped change up the flavor of the protein shakes for me during these early stages.

It's rough going after surgery, I remember it well.  All you can do sometimes is white knuckle through it and keep telling yourself that this too shall pass.  Hang in there.  It definitely gets much much better  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

etiedeman
on 4/20/15 8:58 am

Thanks for the tip, but sugar free Jello = aspartame = migraine. I'm playing with extracts, cocoa and xylitol now. I might try to add some milk to help mask the protein-y taste.

Thanks for the chin-up. I'm hurting right now. No word from the nut. Left a message, though.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

movis
on 4/23/15 3:15 am
VSG on 07/16/13

Unjury makes a chicken soup protein that counts as broth and is not sweetened. Good luck!

Movis   HW: 341,  Surgeon Consult: 333,  SW: 300,  CW: 195

Oneillch
on 4/23/15 10:18 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I hope today is finding you feeling a little better. I read about your problems with artificial sweeteners & I have a suggestion. You can make your own jello if "no sugar added juices" are allowable on your plan. Just heat the juice (directions on gelatin indicates how much liquid per packet), add unflavored gelatin, stir till it disolves & refrigerate. You can also freeze this for pops.

etiedeman
on 4/23/15 11:53 pm

I want to thank everyone for their encouragement and help. I just tried a tiny bit of sugar or reduced-sugar quick in my protein shakes which has helped a lot. I also got some xylitol, but it's going straight through me, probably because it's fiber-based and I'm not "there" yet.

I felt really weak and out of it on Tuesday, so I decided to add in some full liquids and OMG, so much better! Dole sweet corn soup and sw black bean soup. Egg Drop soup. Creamsicles. Added yogurt to my shakes. Much more strength. Much less hunger.

The only thing I need to do now is figure out my multivitamins. I puke them up within a few minutes of taking them. And I'm down 16.5 lbs from my surgery date.

Pamela M.
on 4/24/15 12:42 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I have no idea if this will help you or not BUT when I was at your stage my go-to "life saving" food was egg drop soup.  It was so warm, comforting and full of protein.  I couldn't eat enough of it.  I hope you find something that you can eat that will help you feel better.  I promise this will pass and in about 1 month you are going to feel amazing!!!  It is all worth it.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Friends K.
on 4/26/15 12:24 am
RNY on 01/14/14

It is time to push for your needs with you program. Not a pat answer. I was on full liquids 6 hours post surgery. You need that protein. Adding some sugar is not an issue either. 

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

jeannegirl01
on 6/4/15 3:40 pm - San Antonio, TX

I had my vs G On June the second and is now June 4th and I'm still starving to death and on the same diet you're on and I have a massive migraine and have had it since the surgery I didn't know if it was from anesthesia or if it was what they call it hunger but I do know that I'm miserable right at the moment and I still have a whole week to go before I see my doctorI do question whether or not I did the right thing because anyone would lose weight on this particular 3 stage diet but we will see

Jeannegirl

Most Active