Red Flags/Indicators- Microwave Heating

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/15 11:38 am, edited 4/19/15 11:43 am

I get a kick out of all the quirky little methods we develop as the time progresses to help us "measure" our food.

I have a Bento Box that I use to portion my lunches most days. When I use that little box I never weigh my protein. I know it will hold between 3 and 3.5 ounces. That's all I really need to know. The smaller boxes hold just about 1/4 cup. When it's said and done I know that I'm keeping my volume to about 1 cup using that little sucker. Keeps me honest!

When my capacity was mature at about a year out, I went to a good kitchen store and bought custard cups and glass ramekins that were specific sizes so I would not always have to measure everything because I knew the volume/capacity of each dish.

frisco
on 4/19/15 11:52 am

Thanks for getting it !

Yes, I have certain containers that are perfect for my portions..... I even have them bigger, but know how much to put in it.

Since I have to be spot on for my blog and my own food prep, I can most times tell from a distance...... heck the people I eat with often are very close on my portions !!!

I still use the visual of a deck of cards when I'm out and/or traveling.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

cspotrun
on 4/19/15 12:15 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

OMG I have this favorite pyrex container that is perfect for my meat and veggie for lunch to bring to work. When it is dirty I am disappointed.

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/19/15 11:41 am, edited 4/19/15 12:10 pm

Why would anyone reheat their food in microwave is below my understanding. Aren't we suppose to eat healthy? 

Also..if you absolutely have to do...more fat less time to heat. More veggies or frozen food. More time needed. 

It Is just physics.  Not rocket scientific thingy. I.e. bacon. Only 5~10 sec is needed. In microwave. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Oneillch
on 4/19/15 11:56 am, edited 4/19/15 12:07 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

H.a.l.a.B. - Don't knock microwaves. Some people actually use them for cooking things other than bacon & heating things up. That's why most come with cookbooks and different power levels. Try it, you may be surprised. Great for making pot roast, corned beef & if you have the capacity (as in the older models) a whole (12-14 lb) turkey. Comes out very moist & if you cover with wax or parchment paper, it will brown.

cspotrun
on 4/19/15 12:14 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I like to use 50% power...I feel like it does't dry the meat out as much.  It takes a little longer, but you're right, our food portions don't take long at all to heat.  Which is good because I end up reheating my meal a couple times since I eat slowly these days.

Karen   

Jiliana2
on 4/19/15 10:49 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Agreed. At the office for lunch, I heat up leftover protein from the previous evening's dinner (chicken today, yum!). If it takes more than 50-60 seconds, it's too much for me! Usually less than one minute will do, depending on the microwave of course.

Thanks for the tip/reminder Frisco!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

ipray
on 4/23/15 4:42 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thanks for the tip frisco! You were right! I found that I was microwaving things way to long (pre-surgery habit) for the small amount of pre-measured food that I am now eating.  As you mentioned, your "non-scientific way" is a new tool for my toolbox!

frisco
on 4/23/15 4:49 am

Thanks for "getting it" as just another tool !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Pat H.
on 4/23/15 8:24 am

Frisco - Just wanted you to know how much you have helped me during the weight loss portion of my journey. Had my VSG on 8/24/11, met my surgeon's goal and even met my own. Have kept steady at 115 to 117 lbs since 8/2012. Your posts and the heated responses gave me food for thought and guide me every day as I make my own food choices. This is a good guideline and the kind of information that helps keep me on track. Many thanks and keep fighting the good fight my friend!!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

Most Active