Nutrition Question - edited

astueckroth
on 4/21/15 1:39 pm, edited 4/21/15 10:20 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

So the feedback I had gotten from all of you was phenomenal. Thank You.

Now the next problem. Having cut calories back to  less than 1000. Most days  between 800 and 900.  I've noticed that the percentages of fat Increases with the increased protein. 

so the question is with the reduction of carbohydrates does the increase in the percentage of fat makes sense? Or should that stay relatively low also?

So my days   Have been averaging about 18% carbohydrates and 45% protein and the rest shows as fat according to MFP.

If this is not what I'm supposed to be seeing can anyone give me an idea as to what those percentages should actually be?

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/21/15 10:06 pm
VSG on 12/06/12
astueckroth
on 4/21/15 10:21 pm, edited 4/21/15 10:21 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

Sorry apparently my computer did not accept the entire paragraph that I had typed please see the updated message. 

Thanks 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/21/15 10:23 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

No problem just wanted to make sure you got whatever information you were seeking.

EvergreenK
on 4/21/15 11:12 pm
VSG on 09/16/14 with

I don't worry about fat at all.  I don't think you can do low carb, low fat very effectively.  Fat helps you feel satisfied.  I am frequently high on fat as a percentage of total calories, but I just ignore it.

aharris30
on 4/21/15 11:51 pm
VSG on 05/13/14

Everyone handles the fat portion different. I need the fat to help me feel satiated and not to continue to snack on things every 2hrs. I follow more of a atkins diet routine. I make sure I have some fat in every meal and keep my carbs low. Of course, all of my meals are protein based so I don't worry about that. In the end, do what works best for YOU.  Like some I don't even count calories, makes me feel like i'm on a diet.  But if  it works for you, continue on. Your percentages look good in my opinion, my nutrition had a percentage pie chart and it was pretty similar to your numbers.

ipray
on 4/22/15 12:38 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I am a carb addict, so I stay away from the carbs. I don't worry so much about the fats, but try not to go crazy with them. If you are losing or maintaining at a normal (per your doctor/nut) rate, then whatever you are doing is working.  If not, make adjustments. (Try cutting back on the fats for a while, and if that isn't working, try cutting back on the carbs).  If you really need the structure of exact percentages (and some of us do to keep us honest) check with your nut to find out the exact ratio that would apply to you.  Good luck to you! 

astueckroth
on 4/22/15 1:25 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 06/27/14

Sadly the reason I have turned back to this group is because just after surgery I lost my insurance and although I found a new job with insurance they do no cover things like this. So I'm outsourcing to the collective here.

I am in the process of finding another job with different insurance but that's a slow process. 

Thanks for the reply though.

ipray
on 4/22/15 2:49 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Good luck with your job search. Ask all the questions that you want. It sounds like you are on the right track by using MFP.  It has helped me stay the course, especially with my protein intake. Good luck to you!!! 

Stacy_WLS
on 4/22/15 2:16 am

I paid attention to fat when I was losing just to keep calories in check.  I think our bodies can process fat much more efficiently than carbs, so I don't worry about it too much.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views