"Treating" Your Self

Jamie L.
on 4/22/15 10:05 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

Like most people I have spent my many years that I was over weight using FOOD to celebrate, treat myself and sometimes try to make myself feel better when I was sad or depressed.  As I have progressed though my "weight loss journey" I have been looking for ways to do this that do NOT involve FOOD.

Here are a few things that I have come up with -

Celebrating the small victories with: buying myself scented soap or a new piece of clothing, getting my nails done or a pedicure.

Wedding Anniversary-instead of the normal "going out to EAT" we went to a local spa for a hot tub soak and couples body massage (my first massage ever it was heavenly).

Birthday celebration: Going for a horse back ride at the beach instead of cake and a "food" related party.

I would like to hear from all of you on WHAT HAVE YOU DONE (or want to do) TO CELEBRATE WITHOUT USING FOOD ?

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!!!

Gwen M.
on 4/22/15 10:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I treat myself with yoga classes and seminars.  I treated myself to signing up with a personal trainer just this morning!  I treat myself with monthly massages.  I treat myself with really high quality food since I get less of it.  

I treated myself with a coloring book for adults.  I treat myself with time dedicated for reading.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CGCL
on 4/22/15 10:39 am
RNY on 02/19/15

I've been collecting non-food reward ideas. Here's my complete list with a bit of wacky formatting:

Manicure

Pedicure Hair Appointment Massage New songs  New workout DVD new fitness stuff  Paperback book - A new piece of clothing - Small bottle of perfume
  1. Go see a new movie
  2. Enjoy a staycation
  3. Go on a beach vacation
  4. Get a new hairstyle
  5. Learn a new skill – Try playing the piano, singing, acting, or painting
  6. Enjoy a laugh at a local comedy club
  7. Take a day trip to your favorite local town
  8. Go see your favorite band
  9. Buy a new pair of running shoes
  10. Go on a cruise
  11. Learn to make your own healthy salsa
  12. Buy a new water bottle
  13. Start a garden
  14. Go for a hike and enjoy nature
  15. Have a spa day
  16. Buy a new piece of furniture
  17. Get a facial
  18. Buy one thing off of your Amazon wish list

Buy yourself (a) new:

• Belt
  • DVD
  • Exercise clothes
  • Healthy cookbook
  • iPod, iPhone, or iPad accessory
  • Item for a collection or hobby
  • Kitchen gadget
  • Magazine subscription
  • Membership (to a website, club, museum, etc.)
  • Pair of shoes
  • Picture frame
  • Piece of exercise equipment (ball, weights, resistance bands, yoga mat, etc.)
  • Tool
  • Underwear
  • Workout music

Download a/an:

• App
  • Computer game
  • Exercise video
  • Kindle book (e-book)
  • Movie
  • Song

Earn a:

• Date night with your significant other
  • Massage from your significant other
  • Go to a/the:
  • Bowling alley
  • Comedy club
  • Concert
  • Fair
  • Mall
  • Movies
  • Museum
  • Play or musical
  • Pool or beach
  • Spa
  • Zoo

Put money towards (a/an):

• Gift card for your favorite store
  • Hiring a maid
  • Investment
  • Smaller wardrobe
  • Spa day
  • Vacation
  • Weekend trip

Rent a:

• Boat
  • Fancy car

Take a class in/on:

• Glassblowing
  • Art (drawing, painting, pottery)
  • Cooking
  • Sewing 
  • Guitar

3. Hugs - lots of them - perhaps I could convince my family to hug me until I can't stand it anymore.

5. Shopping for underwear. Hey, a cute pair of panties might only set you back $3-$5.

7. To get yourself laughing until you cry watch videos of your favorite comedians on YouTube. I happen to love this one (not appropriate for children or easily offended adults):Russell Peters.

8. Drop by your favorite thrift store and see if you can find a bargain on stuff that you need. I found almost brand new hiking boots yesterday for $3 (reuse!).   magazine subscription check ebay for prices
  • new pair of slimmer jeans
  • new book or magazine
  • coin jar – add $1 for every pound lost or create your own reward system. The growing collection of money will be a visual reminder of what you've accomplished and get you motivated to add to it
  • new hair accessories
  • new bathing suit

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Jamie L.
on 4/23/15 2:13 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

What a great list! I love it and will use some of those!

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/22/15 10:44 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Every month I schedule something that is good for either my body or my mind.  Here's my current list of rewards: 

Massages (body and foot)

Facials

Pedicures/Manicures

Isolation Tank Float Therapy

Concerts, museums, local points of interest

Shopping

I just signed up for a Qi Gong class and started meditating using an app called Headspace (thank you, Gwen ).  My next goal is to start hiking.  The possibilities are endless!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

glamlamb
on 4/22/15 10:54 am
VSG on 01/19/15

these are great ideas, everyone! thanks for this post!

Tracy D.
on 4/23/15 12:31 am, edited 4/23/15 1:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Jamie - I have a very different perspective on this whole thing and it's come from years of self-reflection as well as study of human behavior.  The need to "reward" ourselves is directly tied to lifestyle imbalance.  When we focus all our energies on what we "must do", or "have to do" and neglect the "love to do" or "enjoy to do" things, our entire lifestyle gets out of balance.  And we will feel an intense need to compensate.  

It's human nature to try and restore that balance through some reward or treat.  As in "I deserve those new shoes because I've worked so hard this week" or "I deserve a day at the spa because I hit goal weight this week".  For a lot of us in the past the reward was food-centered.   

I've found that the more I focus on lifestyle balance - doing nice things for myself on a regular basis - that I have less and less need to "reward" myself or give myself "treats".  And celebrations now focus on being around the people I love and connecting with them emotionally.  Food always got in the way of that in the past and still can so I try to keep food out of it as much as possible.  

So for me personally, I work at maintaining a healthy balance of work time, family time and Tracy time.  And I no longer look to celebrate anything that has to do with a number on the scale.  I love your ideas on celebrating birthdays and anniversaries with activities rather than big dinners out or food-laden parties 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

thallnc
on 4/23/15 1:20 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

Tracy, I like the way you think!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Jamie L.
on 4/23/15 2:27 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for your thoughts, they are great and I am working hard at getting that "balance" in my life that you spoke of.  I spent too many years doing too much of the "have to do" stuff and doing for others BEFORE I would do anything for myself.  I also (like many) felt guilty about doing something "just for me", so getting a good balance and making it a lifestyle instead of a "treat" is just what I need.  THANKS! 

Gwen M.
on 4/23/15 3:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yes!  Well said.  I do nice things for myself just because I exist and everyone who exists deserves nice things for no other reason than existence :)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)