Medication questions

BabyBlues79
on 4/29/15 7:35 am
VSG on 05/07/15

I take extended release Wellbutrin and I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue after surgery? I've read about the other bypass procedures and medicine but not about the sleeve ad extended release meds. Thanks in advance 

Mary B.
on 4/29/15 7:52 am - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

I was also on XR Wellbutrin.  My doctor switched me over to regular and is having me take half of it in the morning and half 12 hours later.  I don't know if it was necessary, but that's my experience. 

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

Jamie L.
on 4/29/15 7:53 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

You will need to discuss this with your doctor for sure.  I know that they don't want you to crush up any medication that is "extended release" because it messes up the release. You doctor may need to switch you to the regular Wellbutrin that is not extended release. I personally went off the Wellbutrin for my surgery and have felt that I needed to go back on it so far. (My VSG was 6/2/2014) We will see.

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/29/15 8:22 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I was in the same boat.  I stopped taking ER Wellbutrin completely after surgery, but found that I needed to start back on it again earlier this year.

My PCP changed the prescription from the extended release version to the standard version.  Now I take two pills - one in the morning, one in the evening.  She even lowered the dosage based on my weight loss.  Seems to be working for me.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

starchygirl
on 4/29/15 11:01 am

i was told that extended release meds don"t work the same when crushed. My doctor gave me a prescription for not extended release medicine and told me to split the pill in half then crush half and take it in the morning, and crush the other half and take it in the evening.

mickeymantle
on 4/29/15 3:10 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I don't take extended release

but I have been taking very large pills from the day came home from the hospital , no crushing , just swallow with water

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Hislady
on 4/30/15 11:08 am - Vancouver, WA

I guess I've been under the misunderstanding that there was no need to change meds with a sleeve, I thought since the stomach worked the same with no malabsorption that there was no need for changes even with extended release. So I guess one should check with their doctor or pharmacist about changing meds if they are extended release, is that correct?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views