Stress and weight loss......

Joanna B
on 5/1/15 2:03 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi There 

Is it possible that stress can stop your weight loss?

I ask this because This was my first week back to work (7 weeks post surgery). My job consist of sitting all day at a desk, in a cube, with a TON of stress. When I weighed myself, I did not lose a pound! Not even an ounce! I am eating the same as I did before I went back to work (I am still on the puree stage). I am getting 64+ ounces of water. The only issue is I do not move as much as before. I try to walk daily but after working all day I am struggling with this because I am so tired (physically and mentally). I did get my walk in yesterday and today. 

Here is what I normally eat. I drink a bottle water in between every meal. 

B - 2oz cottage cheese

L - 2.5oz Tuna w/ light mayo or 2oz of chicken salad

D - 3oz Fish (I am loving the fish!!)

S - 2oz baked beans

I didn't know if stress can stop your weight loss or if I just need to move more...Any advise is appreciate. 

Thanks everyone =]

Vivian Prouty
on 5/1/15 2:27 am - Fort Worth, TX

Yes stress can deifinately keep you from loosing weight in fact it can also make you gain weight.    Try to get away from your desk during your lunch and de-stress.    Go outside and walk if you have enough time.    Make sure you walk or exercise also or that alone can slow down or keep you from loosing.    Its a balance of healthy clean eating and exercise that will make you a success during your WLS journey.    Good luck and try not to stress too much.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Joanna B
on 5/1/15 6:03 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Thanks Vivian :) I use to walk all the te at work but it's now a busy season for out department. I would love time to walk around our building, which is a good 30 minute walk! It's getting through this rough busy time so that I can do this. Good to know that this is the reason why I have stalled.

Gwen M.
on 5/1/15 3:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yes, stress can definitely impact diet.  As can lack of sleep.  And lots of other things. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Y D.
on 5/1/15 3:49 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

It can and it does! For me, not being stressed is the exception not the rule; so its a place I "live" (even with medication and Dr.s).

For me, when possible, I try to just stick to the plan and let my body figure out what its going to do about the weight. I use my mind to try and problem solve stressors and situations and focus on what I can improve instead of what I can't control (how my body loses weight).

Hugs, and good luck to you

Joanna B
on 5/1/15 6:00 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Thanks Yaara :)

rocky513
on 5/1/15 5:50 am - WI

Go up to the little magnifying glass in the corner of the page and search "3 week stall".  You will get thousands of hits.  You are right at the three week mark.   Stress can slow weight loss, but stalls are normal.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Joanna B
on 5/1/15 5:59 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi Rocky,

I am 7 weeks post surgery now, although I did hit that dreaded 3 weeks out stall. 

:)

mickeymantle
on 5/1/15 6:28 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

stall , your also not getting enough protien and the baked beans are very high in cal

it is mostly what you eat that makes you lose unless you  do lots  of strenuous  exercise you will not lose much more weight, burning 400 cal running a day is only around 1 lb   and that is a lot of running

exercise mostly tones your muscles and helps raise you metabolism a little

every one stall after a few weeks and it can last a few weeks ,only weigh yourself weekly or you will drive yourself crazy

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

TallBadger2015
on 5/3/15 4:50 am

Absolutely, stress increases cortisol and cortisol has many negative effects on the body.  It can slow weight loss, or even cause weight gain, but it also decreases the function of your immune system which, over time, can lead to many serious conditions if stress is prolonged.  You could just be at a stall point, so just keep plugging along.  It is normal to stall.  I will stall for a week or two, then lose, then stall again.  I don't like the word stall, because it's just your body's reaction to fast weight loss.  I would avoid the baked beans, too.  Do your best to keep exercising, exercise releases happy hormones in the body and can help counteract stress!  Best wishes! 

Highest Recorded Weight: 454/Starting Weight:  433.7/Surgery Weight:  419/Current Weight:  353

Most Active