Coffee?

MissNexxie
on 5/9/15 7:51 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I started with decaf about 2 weeks out and switched to regular coffee at about 6-8 weeks out. My program has no restrictions on coffee or tea once the sleeve is healed but they tell us to listen to how our sleeve responds to it.  Start with a small amount, like 1/4 to 1/2 cup and go from there.  I drink it daily with no issues. If I have McDonalds or Tim Horton's coffee they seem a little harder on my stomach but my homemade fresh ground coffee causes me no issues. 

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

MAchick
on 5/9/15 8:24 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I don't remember exactly, maybe a month or two? The surgeon didn't seem to mind at all.

I'll be honest though, I probably drink way too much coffee than I should. I have a minimum of 1 medium iced coffee a day, to sometimes two large iced coffees on days I work. I do take my prilosec at the same time every morning with a glass of water, and usually wait 1/2 hour or more  before I eat or drink anything else.

sds0029
on 5/9/15 8:58 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Never stopped but I only have maybe 2 cups a day and that is in am only.  My surgeon was ok with it.  

Good luck 

Kiwideb
on 5/9/15 1:09 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Docs usually suggest no caffeine until you are getting in your full portion of water. Decaf, however was classed as reg liquid for your totals as it won't dehydrate you the way reg coffee could.

felinemommy
on 5/10/15 10:02 am - NH

I'm guessing the caffeine restrictions are more about caffeine being a diuretic and some VSGers having trouble getting in their necessary fluids early out (or in my case, for a VERY long time!)  I'm over 5 years out and I will advise from personal experience, don't go back to regular coffee drinking if, like me, you like your coffee sweet and blonde.  I didn't return to drinking coffee for probably about a year post op and still only drink one a day with soy or almond milk and stevia.  I just wish that I'd never started back on the habit.  Be very DELIBERATE about your choices early out.......they do have long-term repercussions down the road!

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

Tombocom
on 5/10/15 10:45 am
RNY on 04/28/15

I was a caffeine fiend - I'd drink two full cups by the time I left for work, then the 8 hours at work, i easily drank 1 an hour.

The doc said I could continue, but would have to swap to decaf... Decaf?  Hot, dirty water that just doesn't cut it.  There is a scientific reason - caffeine can block calcium absorption, is a diuretic, and (at least in my case****asionally lead to stomach irritation.  12-days out from surgery, I dont need any help with any irritation!  

Then, surgery.  Dr Warnock gave me my new lease on life, and I am determined to follow his directions.  So, decaf it is.  But you know what's strange - after a lifetime of caffeine addiction, I've lost the taste for it.  I still have the morning cup, but that's it... 

So, listen to what your doc tells you.  It's now theor forst rodeo when it comes to this thing!

ElizaM
on 5/11/15 8:20 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Coffee isn't a diuretic, especially if you're a regular coffee drinker. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

beelitehobbies
on 5/10/15 5:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/27/15

I am not sure I would have gone through with the operation if I could never had coffee again? I drink 2 cups a day, black. Everyday. Only stopped for 4 days post op. I have not had any problem getting in the water daily however?

No Coffee? Shocking! Need to change everything in your life after VSG. I am most certain of that now. but coffee...........No

Male 55, Initial weight 388#, and 6'1" / surgery weight 360#/Current Weight is 296#

Bella_Fein
on 5/10/15 8:04 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I was never told no coffee. In fact when on my liquid diet I was having coffee protein shakes. I never understood the no coffee rule.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ElizaM
on 5/11/15 8:25 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Hm, I can't remember when I started drinking it. 2-3 months out, maybe? I put cream in it. I try to keep it to half caf because I do try to limit caffeine in order to sleep well. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views