What am I doing?

sunshine66
on 5/12/15 9:11 pm

Help!  So disappointed in myself.  Had VS 06/13.  Did really well.  Lost almost 100lbs.  This past year I've gained 25-30lbs back from my lowest weight.  Why you ask….???  Because, I've reverted back to my old ways.  Eating whatever I want.  Late night snacks, drinking beer, not exercising.  Have I ruined what I started?  Can I go back?  Have I stretched out my stomach again??  I could just cry a river.  No support system at home.  Family is eating & drinking so I go along with the flow.  I'm not sure where to begin.  Please, please help me.  

David F.
on 5/12/15 9:20 pm - Henderson, NV

You can always get back on track, just believe that you can do it and do it. Make late night snacks protein based if you have to have them. Beer is bad but I switched to mixed drinks so can't give you advice about those. I just drink one or two every now and then. try to exercise if you can. do anything that gets you moving. 

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

Hislady
on 5/12/15 9:56 pm - Vancouver, WA

There is a getting back on track group here you can get involved in and just go back to basics. It's very doubtful your stomach has stretched it is more likely you are eating more sliders that don't make you feel full like the dense protein does. You have to ignore the folks at home that aren't supportive and get back with your original program that got you losing in thew first place. Start journaling, weighing and measuring your food and you can get rid of that 30 lbs in no time before it turns into 50!

TiaHa49
on 5/12/15 10:00 pm - Cleveland, OH

Hi there

First and for most you have to realize you are not your family. You are you.

Ask yourself why you had the surgery.  You can't change your family but you can change YOU.

Starr back to protein. ..breakfast lunch dinner. Snacks can b measured portions of veggies raw or cooked.

Measure measure measure and track everything.  I go by ABC=ALL BITES COUNT. Drink your water and let the beer go. 

These are kinda have to things if you want to lose.

I had the surgery  (4/10/13).  My husband/ffriends did not.

This has to b about you...not them.

Take care

Tia

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/15 10:19 pm

LOVE ABC = All Bites Count!!!!!!

So, so true!

cappy11448
on 5/13/15 6:41 am

For me, I think about maintenance as a new plan, not the lack of a plan.  Given my urges, I know I'd gain weight back if I didn't adhere to some rules.

I think you can turn things around if you make the commitment to do so.  I'd start with looking at carb intake.  Carbs cause food cravings, and I suspect may be driving your eating.  White-knuckle it, and cut out the carbs.  It only takes a few days to see a shift.  And then watch your carbs and when the cravings start, you know your limit.

Second.  Maximize the effectiveness of your sleeve by always eating dense proteins first, and filling up on healthy, low-carb veggies.  Save carbs for occasional treats.  You'll be back on track in no time.

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Stacy_WLS
on 5/13/15 7:28 am

Yes you can go back, but you need determination.  Get rid of the junk food & beer.  It sucks, but it is important.  Go back to protein, veggies, water and exercise!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

White Dove
on 5/13/15 7:48 am - Warren, OH

You have been given some great advise.

Now here is what you must do:

1.  Get an accurate scale and weigh yourself daily.  You will not get the weight off if you do not do this.  You will stay in denial on days when you do not weigh.

2.  Download MyFitnessPal and track every bite that you goes into your mouth.  Make this a new job for you. 

3.  You need 10 calories a day to maintain your current weight.  Multiply your weight by 10 and that is the calories you need to stay there.  Then subtract 500 calories from that amount and that is what you can eat and lose a pound a week.

4.  This is not going to be fast or easy.  You need to allow yourself 30 weeks to get back to goal.  If you get there sooner, that is great, but make sure you stick to your calorie limit and weighing schedule.  You need to get back to goal and then learn how to maintain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

faylavi
on 5/13/15 10:44 am - Laurel, MD

I regained 45 pounds by eating junk. I did not think I could get back on track after serveral failed attempts. On April 1 st I cut salt sugar and fat from my diet. I know it's extreme but I was desperate and having a lot of joint pain. I lost 20 pounds in April and my cravings are in check for the first time in a while. 

I added some fat and switched  low sodium (couldn't take mrs dash anymore). The biggest thing for me is that I prepare my own food. Got storage containers in the fridge stacked to remove some of the guess work. I plan when I get eat carbs. Every 10 days or so I allow myself to cheat  

May son comes home from college next week and I will be tempted. If nothing else I can reread this to help me refocus when I get tempted. 

Good luck. Know that it is possible!!!

Fay

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

sunshine66
on 7/25/15 6:45 am

Thanks for everyone's input.  I love this sight.  Only the folks here know what's like to go through this.  That is why I rely on this group to get and keep me going.  This is my soft spot to land.  We all need that!  Peace to you all, and again THANKS!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views