Wild weekend

happytoloose
on 5/12/15 10:04 pm

Well,  I tested the limits over the weekend while on a fishing trip to the mountains with a friend of mine.

I ate all kinds of garbage, and drank beer too. 1st time since I started this journey I feel like I cheated myself.

Picked up 4 pounds for my efforts. I didn't plan ahead very well and the stuff available where we were was NOT the healthiest

food I could eat. Hot dogs, chips, crackers, stuff like that. And BEER for God sake. I haven't had a beer in 9 months.

All is well though, as soon as I got home, I straightened up and got back on plan.

I can now see that falling back into old habits is easier than I thought. Not beating myself up for it, but learning and moving on.

Lost that 4 pounds in the last couple of days, carbs are hard too shake but has to be done. Back to 30g a day. I don't even want to know how many I had over the weekend. But I think they are the culprit for the gain. LIVE and LEARN.

As for the BEER, it was fun while it lasted, but the bubbles were not very comfortable, so I don't forsee doing that again anytime soon.

Caught lots of fish so protein is abundant for awhile.

I THINK I'LL BE OK!

I love my sleeve!

Rod

Dan1962
on 5/13/15 4:41 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Rod,

I go up north to hunting camp 5 weekends during hunting season.  Hunting season started this year 6 weeks after my surgery.  I went anyway.  I brough packets of salmon, sardines, and celery...all were on my plan at the time.  I also carried almonds with me while hunting and three or four bottles of water to stay hydrated.  Additionally I sipped a glass of wine each evening.  As the weeks progressed, I too ate some carbs.  I know the feeling of cheating yourself.  I think this program has taught me one thing.  Moderation is not a dirty word, its the way to live life.  I can eat or drink anyhting I want at this point, but I only eat and drink what I choose and then a moderate amount.  A weekend away with the guys is always a blast, but I look for the silver linings now...like being the one not hung over like a dog in the morning!

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 5/13/15 5:11 am - MI

Don't beat yourself up. Learn from what you did and better prepare for your next trip!  The main thing is you're back on track now!! Enjoy that fish. I was in Florida last month and I had my first beer in 8 months (only a 4 ounce sampler) and the bubbles didn't bother me, but it made me instantly sleepy!! 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Sandra F.
on 5/13/15 5:56 am

I think we all fall off of the wagon at some point on this journey, so don't beat yourself up about it.  You recognized the problem and corrected it.  Good luck to you on your continued success!

Tracy D.
on 5/13/15 6:24 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Most people "test the waters" at some point and find out that: 1) Wow, I really CAN eat that crap, the surgery didn't make it impossible, and 2) Crap carbs are the enemy.  

Crap carbs (white flour, sugar) and carbonation create almost instant inflammation in my body and my body is super efficient at fat storage when it gets those foods :-(   All of which creates a very quick rise in pounds on the scale.  People will say it's "impossible" to gain 5 lbs. in one weekend - I will tell you it's entirely possible.  I'm living proof.  

LIVE and LEARN is right.  What I've learned is that although a lot of stuff may taste good in my mouth (like diet soda) it doesn't feel good in the tummy.  And the trade-off for the seconds of good taste in the mouth is definitely not worth the days of agony with trying to get the weight back off.  

Never in my life have I regretted NOT eating or drinking something.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Stacy_WLS
on 5/13/15 7:24 am

I too tested the waters (but at like 6 months out) and was so sorry that I did!

I have found better balance in my crazy weekend :)  I enjoy the wine and a bite or two of sugar, but otherwise keep things pretty normal.  Balance of some kind make the weekend fun and really guilt free.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

psychoticparrot
on 5/13/15 7:56 am

What a great example of putting the past where it belongs--in the past. My one binge so far has been at my son's house, where I ate my grandson's (my grandson, for crying out loud!) snack food for one day -- Goldfish crackers, candy, ice cream. Got back on track the next day, but like you, found the carb cravings lasted a few more days.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Shel25
on 5/13/15 10:28 am

YOU WILL BE OK!  Because, you have already moved on and are back on track.  Thanks for the description of the excursion AND the description of feeling like you cheated yourself.  I have been feeling triggered to have "just a few" processed carbs the last few days.  I haven't given in but just reading this helps strengthen my resolve. 

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Most Active