Trying not to panic...

Lillydivine
on 5/16/15 8:49 am
VSG on 04/13/15

I feel like I am screwing up all the time after my surgery. I've been eating to the point of pain more often than I should. I'm afraid that I messed up my sleeve and stretched it out. I am a month post op and can eat up to 6 ounces depending on the food. I don't eat that much everytime. But at that point is when I feel pain.

I can't tell when I'm hungry or full at times. I'm suffering from constipation almost daily. This is confusing me because I have colitis and crohn's. I've not had problems going to the bathroom. I'm taking way to many laxatives in my opinion. I feel bloated all the time. I just want some relief.

I take previcid 2x daily. It helps with my reflux, but not hunger, when I feel hungry.

After a week of pure crazyness, I gained a pound back. So now I feel devestated and wonder how much damage I caused to my sleeve.

I do exercise, using the nustep, 20 min daily. At this time, I'm limited to walking and biking. 

My old self would give up because I already screwed up and that's what I feel like doing. I'm not going to throw in the towel just yet tho. I just want to know that I did no damage and that it's not to late for me.

I also, understand that I need to measure my food. I don't know how to do this when I am out.

I needed to get this off my chest. 

Thanks

Height 5ft 2in / Highest Weight 277lbs / Surgery April 13, 2015 / Surgery Weight 270lbs / Current Weight 230lbs / Goal 130ibs

Gwen M.
on 5/16/15 8:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

First off, it's great that you're reaching out for help.  That's a hard thing to do and you should feel good that you've done it.  This is a challenging process, but the good news is that you can do it.  

I HIGHLY recommend that you start seeing a therapist to talk about these things with.  Mine is a very important part of my Obesity Recovery Team.  

Start measuring your meals to be 3-4 ounces and don't eat anything once you've finished what you've measure.  Clearly 6 ounces is entirely too much if you're eating to the point of pain.  So start measuring smaller meals and then STOP.  

Schedule an appointment with your nutritionist and talk about plans for how to eat and how to deal with hunger.  You might need a stronger PPI to deal with hunger, but the hunger you're feeling might also just be in your head and something that you need to work through on the mental side of things with a therapist.  

It isn't too late for you, but you need to kick this self sabotage in the butt and get yourself on track.  

As for measuring foods when out, I bought a small, portable scale from Amazon and carry it in my purse.  Plus I weigh everything at home, so, over the last year, I've gotten better at eyeballing portions when I'm out if I don't have my scale with me.  I box things up right away after separating my portion, so that I won't be tempted to eat more than I should.  

So.. in a nutshell - therapist + nutritionist.  Get yourself back on track and make this surgery work for you!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenorama
on 5/16/15 9:54 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I am interested in your portable scale. Do you have a link? How do you weigh food while out and not make a mess? Or maybe you do make a mess, but you're such a boss, you just don't care! :D

Jen

Gwen M.
on 5/16/15 4:55 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012N1NAA/

This is the one I've got.  I tend to use the bread plate, or ask for a second plate, or whatever I need to do to get the extra space :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cliff P.
on 5/16/15 10:42 am
VSG on 03/12/15

Gwen gave you great advice. My 2 cents is to talk to your nut and follow the instructions to a tee. Until you hit goal you have to not cheat. All I can say is .....follow what the tell you and in a month you will be smiling.

Cliff

DW/287 SW/245 GW/185 hit at 89 day post op.. still doing the happy dance  

Cliff P.
on 5/16/15 10:43 am
VSG on 03/12/15

Gwen gave you great advice. My 2 cents is to talk to your nut and follow the instructions to a tee. Until you hit goal you have to not cheat. All I can say is .....follow what the tell you and in a month you will be smiling.

Cliff

DW/287 SW/245 GW/185 hit at 89 day post op.. still doing the happy dance  

Riah_G
on 5/16/15 11:08 am - Maple Valley, WA

A tip I am using that may help - invest in some collapsible measuring cups. Start with a 1/3 or 1/2 cup and carry it in a ziplock back in your purse. If you are eating out, request that they bring a salad plate and a to go box with your meal.  When the plate comes, measure your portion and put on the salad plate. Box everything up and put a way. Then collapse your measuring cup, wrap in a napkin and put back in zip lock bag and then back in your purse. 

Instantly you have gifted yourself a fresh plate "full" of delicious food in the correct portion. You know that you aren't going to overfill and you have leftovers for future meals. I bought my measuring cups on Amazon and they were about $8.

Sending love and support!  Asking for help is a clear sign that you can do this. Hope that helps!!

Dan1962
on 5/17/15 4:49 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Everything that everyone here has said is true.  Additionally, you need to get out of your own head.  If you are active, part of a support group, and power through this, you will succeed.  I found in the beginning, I had head hunger and it was pretty easy to have a pity party for myself if I allowed it.  Whenever I started those feelings, I walked, got on this site and read or lifted a small weight set in my spare room.  We all made incredible sacrifices when we decided to do this.  I, for one, have committed to a lifestyle change forever.  When I think about the what I use to do to cope with stress or emotions, i do the opposite of what my instinct is.  Now after about eight months, my new coping mechanism have started to become the norm.  

Good luck!  Measure everything, I still do!

White Dove
on 5/17/15 6:05 am - Warren, OH

Picture a balloon that holds four ounces of water and think about what happens when you keep adding more water to it.

The pain is not just from your sleeve stretching.  It is also from your still healing staples and stitches trying to pop open.  If that happens you will need to get to surgery immediately and hope that you can be repaired.  Springing a leak in your sleeve is a very serious complication that can result in death.

You no longer have the digestive system that you had before surgery.  I now have laxatives, enemas, suppositories, fiber pills, as well as Imodium.  I do what I need to do to keep my body functioning.

You need to get serious about what you are doing. 

Giving up and going back to overeating now is risking your life. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MochaJava_143
on 5/19/15 4:06 am
VSG on 03/02/15

Reaching out is GOOD! I get it--I'm almost 3 months out, & the struggles are real.

Okay, so GREAT advice by all previous, but one of the most important things hasn't been addressed: HYDRATION. 

Please, do yourself a favor & keep water close at hand and make sure to sip,sip,sip.....most of the time, if our bodies are not well hydrated, it tricks us into FALSE HUNGER that screws everything up. It will help keep everything else regulated, too (constipation). I struggle with vitamins and hydration too, but make sure to not let the day get away from me without getting enough. I sneak it in with broths, teas, whatever it takes. You can do this!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views