I don't think I will be succesful!

TanyaR
on 5/20/15 9:24 am

This has been a hard week for me. I was just released from the hospital after 5 days, nothing by mouth till today. I have lost a total of 3 pounds this month and I am only 6 weeks post op :(. Friday is 7 weeks and next week is 8! I am so depressed about this how could I not eat anything and not lose? These first few months are when you lose the most and I am not losing. I had surgery for a private sad matter that I am still coping with but now I also have to deal with this! :( I feel so alone and depressed. I just want to be succesful.

karoot2
on 5/20/15 9:41 am

keep in mind that while in the hospital they provide you with a lot of fluid and this can cause the lack of weight gain. even thought you was not allowed anything by mouth they were still giving you nutrients via IV

Sandra F.
on 5/20/15 9:57 am

It will come, believe me.  Just keep on the doctor's plan and it will come.  My mom always told me that I didn't gain the weight quickly and I certainly won't lose it quickly either.  Keep your chin up.

Gwen M.
on 5/20/15 10:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sure you were getting fluids in the hospital - otherwise you'd be starving!  Fluids cause people to gain "weight" which is really just fluid retention.  

Stick to your plan, we all lose differently.  

If you're not seeing a therapist already, definitely make that a priority to help deal with depression, feelings of loneliness, worry of failure, and all that other stuff that's super challenging to deal with.  

You CAN do this :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/20/15 10:06 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It may be worth calling your surgeon's office to see if they have any suggestions, especially if it'll be a while before your next follow-up visit. Even if you don't end up with an appointment, you may be able to chat with a nurse who can help put your mind at ease and give some suggestions.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mmsmom
on 5/20/15 10:37 am - Woburn, MA

What's the alternative?  To eat poorly?  Then for sure you won't be successful.  Stay the course.  The weight will come off.

VSG on 04/28/2014

grayC
on 5/20/15 11:04 am
VSG on 05/01/13

All of the above posts are dead on!

the only thing I could add is, don't discount the 

hormonal fluctuations that are occurring because of the surgery..

and I was wondering if your hitting your water goals for the day

because believe it or not the less you drink, the more you'll hang onto..

just this past weekend, I put on 5lbs of water (in 1 day)  because I drank a total of only 

24oz.  Ridiculous, I know, but true!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/20/15 11:29 am
VSG on 10/09/12

As one of my favourite OH members used to say, "what the f**k else are you going to do?"

stay the course, log your intake, weigh, measure, drink like a fish, walk or move your body any which way you can, eat right and you will be successful. Check in here often. You will see. In a month or so you will feel better about it. You know our fat cells have a sh*t load of hormones in them and when they melt down, well, we also have melt downs. Stay positive. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Kiwideb
on 5/20/15 4:28 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Hah! I think this so many times browsing these boards.

I'm going to take a guess that what the OP had happen recently has done a number on the rest of her body.

Your stomach is only a PART of your body - making it smaller doesn't stop hormones, or medicine based edema, or horrible things happen that sends your body in to a tail spin.

You can't break an ankle and blame your stomach for falling over.. Making your stomach smaller doesn't fix your broken ankle, it's not a failure when your stomach doesn't miraculously do this!

You can do this - after all as suggested you can't go back... Keep moving forward.

Hislady
on 5/20/15 7:42 pm - Vancouver, WA

What everyone else said is right on plus just being stressed seems to bring on weight gain, maybe not a lot but enough to keep the scale from moving. Be kind to yourself, drink lots of fluids especially water and eat good healthy food to fuel your body the best it can be. Allow yourself time for grief and to get back in your usual state of mind. Just don't stress the weight loss, the more you worry about it the more added stress and you don't need that so just stick to the program like the others have said and things will get back on track in short time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views