Almost 3 years post-op...and I'm starting to fall back into bad habits! HELP!

itzmetinab
on 5/30/15 9:26 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12

July 16th will be my three year surgiversary!  Up until January, I'd maintained my weight loss of just over 100 pounds without much trouble.  As unbearable work related stress has creeped into my life since October 2014, I've started falling back into old habits with food...increased carbs, junk food, alcohol.  Since January, I'm up 15 pounds.  None of my clothes fit and I feel terrible!  I KNOW what to do...doing it is another thing!  My work stress has led to some pretty serious depression.  Any words of advice, encouragement, etc. would be much appreciated.  I never want to let things get back to where they were pre-op!  I've got to find a way to get back on track!

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

Kiwideb
on 5/31/15 6:11 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Well, firstly I'd look for a new job. 9 moths of stress so bad it effects your health can't be good for you...

Kimmysil
on 5/31/15 7:36 am

I know exactly how you feel  October will be my 5 year anniversary and I have gained about 15 lbs.  I feel very upset about it and I am trying to hard to lose weight and nothing is helping.  I even joined WW with my GF so we can get back on track.  From October to March I ate everything qnd anything  Went through some personal problems, found out my husband had cancer and needed surgery and radiation so I just ate, ate, ate!!  And now I'm depressed cause nothing fits me from last summer

faylavi
on 5/31/15 7:54 am - Laurel, MD

It happens to the best of us. The good news is that you realize and react to correct the bad habits. 

I regained 45 pounds, half of my weight loss. I wallowed around having a well attended pity party. I finally realized that I am a food addict. I eat when I'm happy. I eat when I'm sad. I eat because it's sunny and I eat when it's rainy. 

All is not lost... You can get back on track. It will be tough but you did it before and you can do it again. Dense protein first, cut the carbs, don't eat and drink at the same time. I'm pulling for you!!!

fay 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/15 2:30 am, edited 5/31/15 2:32 am

I went through about 20 months of stress and depressive episodes before I reached out for help. Actually, I didn't realize how bad my stress and depression were until I wa****ting bottom and having severe episodes in quick succession. During that time I allowed myself to fall into some old habits, too, which resulted in regain.

I will tell you what has helped me. If anything I say helps, great. If not, just let it slide right on by!

First I sought help from my PCP and then I also hunted out food addiction therapists and got a good referral. I started seeing two therapists. One is covered by insurance, the other isn't. Of course, the one that isn't covered by insurance is the one I've chosen to work closely with.

Once in therapy I began to realize that with all the stress that I had been under it was a normal psychological reaction to revert to behaviors that had worked for so many years before VSG. I knew no other way to cope with such persistent high levels of stress. I forgave myself for the weight gain.

Next I had to let go of the diet mentality. This was because I had spent years in the diet, fall off the diet, beat myself up, get back on a diet, do it for a few days, fall off again, and the cycle continued. This was a big old scary step for me, but it has helped a great deal to get me back on track.

I've also had to accept the fact that I have big food issues. BIG. That wasn't too hard. What was a little harder was being okay with that and allowing myself to embrace that part of me as a welcomed part of me. Again, may sound weird to do that, but by doing so the "addict" side of me knows the logical side of me will take care of things.

I have been taking very small steps towards recovery. The biggest step was to not let the number on the scale be my guide. I'm focusing very much on the behaviors, rather than the result. I'm a teacher so the behavior change I'm working on right now is to not eat the crap food at school. There is ALWAYS a ton of candy, chocolate, cookies, cakes, etc... available to me. Lately it's been donuts every single day.

To me it was important to stop the weight gain first, deal with my issues, and once I have a clear enough head I'll be working on weight loss. I have two weeks left before summer break and am planning to make this the summer of me!

Yes, you know exactly what to do. But I think it's important first that you acknowledge that you weren't bad to have gained the weight. It happens. This is a journey. You coped in the only way you really knew how. Maybe talking to your PCP and seeing about an anti depressant to kick start your mood would be helpful. That's what my doc had me do. It has helped a great deal (at least I think it has).

You will get through this. Look how well you maintained for two years. This is a bump in the road. Breathe. Relax. Sit down and come up with a plan to get you on your way. You don't need to fix everything right now, either. One positive change at a time will get you there, too.

Edit: I want to clarify that I do still weigh daily, but I no longer let the fluctuations dictate my mood or my eating. As long as I'm not trending up I don't need to change things.

DeeNY52
on 5/31/15 4:35 pm

Good for you for 1/recognizing you need to make changes,  2/asking for help and 3/not waiting til you gained lots more.

Fifteen pounds is a lot, but you know you can lose it pretty quickly.  You have recognized this and you are ready to tackle those 15 lbs.  You know what to do, and since you have done it before, you know you can do it.  Good luck!

full-of-hopen
on 6/7/15 3:15 pm

I am in a similar situation; 7-25-15 will be my 3 year and I had been maintaining and felt I had may maintenance  plan well under control. I think work stress and ? got the best of me. I started out allowing my self an occasional dessert at family occasions and before I knew it I was eating and craving all this sugar crap; I am up 12 pounds and a scared. I feel like I need to detox from sugar but want to do things the right and health way; back to using my fitness pal and walking and drinking water; I too need to find a way to get back on track and stay there; I was so very happy when I was eating well and following routine. Wish you the best of luck if I get anything figured out I will share. I would ask for advice from the vets; what is the best way to get  back on track? thank you

HW: 248 Consult Wt: 245 Surgery WT: 225 (VSG 7-25-12) Goal Wt: 135  (5-15-13)               Current Wt: 125

M 1: 18   M 2: 13  M3:  9  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8  M7: 8  M8: 6  M9: 6  M10:  6  M11:  3  M12: 2 M13:  2  M14:  1

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views