Questions about fat

wyo_sarah
on 6/2/15 1:27 pm

I'm wondering how many people out there work very hard at eating a low fat diet, in addition to low carb and low calorie, after VSG.  I'm in another online support group and there is one person in particular who is very adamant about eating low fat...she eats low fat cheese, doesn't eat nuts, lean meats, etc.  While I don't seek out fatty foods, I don't really watch the fat as much as the carbs and calories.  I feel like low fat versions of foods that are typically high in fat (like cheese) are more unnatural and in my opinion don't taste good.  I'm just looking for varying opinions.  Thanks!

emelar
on 6/2/15 1:37 pm - TX

I don't do low fat.  I use butter, olive oil, nuts, avocado, etc.  I watch portions because of the high calorie count, but I'd rather have the real thing in smaller amounts.  I use 2% milk because I'm used to the taste of it - full fat tastes too rich.  But I make yogurt with whole milk.  I love steak with some fat attached to it, but, again, it's a once a month or so indulgence - not everyday.  Low and no fat foods have been fiddled with the improve the taste.  Why not just go for the tasty full fat version!

KayDeeCee
on 6/4/15 7:59 am
VSG on 01/26/15

I do the same...I don't worry about eating fats, but do make sure the are the good fats! :-) 

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Meghan704
on 6/2/15 1:58 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

I jus****ched a documentary on Netflix on the sugar industry, I can't remember what it's called but they talked about how most foods that are low fat have so much added sugar to improve taste once you take the fat out. 

Scott S.
on 6/3/15 6:50 am - TX

I think it may have been Fed Up.

VSG: 8/8/13 

Meghan704
on 6/3/15 4:37 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

That's exactly it!!

Kiwideb
on 6/2/15 2:37 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I don't seek low fat out - although I choose to stay away from fried ... Except for chicken wings lol! 

I find I need to have fats, if I don't, with the lack of fiber I get totally bound up. 

Hislady
on 6/2/15 3:00 pm - Vancouver, WA

I firmly believe fat doesn't make you fat, carbs make you fat. We need some healthy fats for joints other things in the body that need lubricating. We don't however need refined carbs. The carbs we get from veggies is fine but anything refined needs to go. If you don't eat carbs or fat or meats there isn't much left to eat but chemicals and they are what got this country in the sad, fat state it is in.

If we eat like our forefathers did, with what we grow ourselves like our own meat and veggies we aren't going to have a weight problem of course they worked off anything they ate so you either have to add some exercise or cut back on quantity but you get what I mean.

They only had special treats on maybe a holiday because it wasn't affordable to do all the time. We are spoiled tho and can have it all, all the time that's where our problem lies! Just eat like the good Lord intended us to and most of the time over weight isn't going to be an issue.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/2/15 9:33 am, edited 6/3/15 5:03 am

It is unrealistic to have low carbs and low fat. The calories have to come from somewhere.

Too much proteins can be really harmful to the body. 

And too much proteins will cause the body turning proteins into blood sugar. For energy. Really hard work for liver, adrenals, and huge strain on kidney.

Moderate proteins,some carbs rest calories from fat.

800-1000 call diet - with 60-70 gr of proteins, 30-40gr carbs leave more than 50% to come from fat.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

frisco
on 6/2/15 6:31 pm

I personally like fats..... fat is flavor.

That said, fat is calorie heavy.

It works for me because I choose to eat smaller in quantity and bigger in variety of content that includes foods that may be on someone else's no no list.

On a personal note, I read every so often that there are surgeons/programs that don't have their patients keep track of caloric intake....... really??? To me, that is the perfect recipe for regain in the big picture.

Keep tabs on your calories !!!! That is how you lose the last weight and how you keep the weight off !!!!(my opinion)

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 144 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 417 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op