Another hospital stay - 10 weeks out, home with pic line for TPN and drain - My horror story

jackfre
on 6/3/15 5:10 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

It's been a few weeks, I was back in the hospital.  I thought I was doing better I was so close to being able to finally eating something. But with a fever of 102.7 - CT scan found 2 abscesses, it appears I have another small leak, they sent me home for 2 weeks to see if the leak heals on its own, if not Gastro will go in and try to glue it or put in a stent, I already have a Bearclaw.  It's been 10 weeks since surgery, 8 of which I have not been able to have anything by mouth, I feel so sick everyday.  Please tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Jackie

Chilipepper
on 6/3/15 5:22 pm

There is light and this will be a distant memory.  Keep yourself together and know you will get through this. 

Did you ever contact the origional surgeon?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

jackfre
on 6/3/15 5:30 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/15

No, my PCP was gong to call him because he has another patient that is going to have surgery with my original surgeon.  They have made no contact with me at all.  Right now I just want to get better.  I am so exhausted I just don't have the energy to talk to him.  I did a lot of research on surgeons and thought I picked the right one.  I know that leaks happen and I don't blame him for that but I do blame him for leaving me in the hands of his PA's who did not help me when I reached out. 

Jackie

Chilipepper
on 6/3/15 5:46 pm

You rest and get yourself strong. Are they watching your labs?  I had late term, never ending complications. Mine were RNY related and scary as well.  I eventually got better and so will you. The sleeve is a tricky surgery because of the very long suture line. Make sure they are keeping your protien up. You need it for strength and it helps heal the body. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/4/15 5:09 am

That is wrong, passing you to PA when you had issues. 

My surgeon is very busy, but since i am a "difficult case"...i am assign to him, even 7 years post op, when he is only on the office one day a week.... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GoBlueGirl1998
on 6/3/15 6:30 pm - MI

You're strong.....just continue staying that way! I pray that you get thru this quickly and end up as healthy as can be.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

grayC
on 6/3/15 6:41 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Hang in there..

my friend had leak, TPN and PIC also..

recovery is a long process but soon it will be a distant memory..

I will be thinking healing thoughts for you.

CGCL
on 6/3/15 7:01 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

I am so sorry! I had a large abscess too and a week in the hospital at two weeks out--same exact temp as you, too! They checked me three times for a leak and fortunately there wasn't one, but I got sent home with a drain in my back too. One of the hospital doctors did manage to give me a bad scare though, since he told me the abscess was large and complicated and they'd likely have to do open surgery to clean it out and it looked like it was a staph infection...argh! It turned out to be strep, and the drain was removed a week later. I had five CTs  in a week and uck, that contrast!! 

It definitely gets better. You've likely been feeling extra miserable due to the infection. I was here reading the boards the first two weeks after surgery and wondering why everyone felt so much better than me so much faster! Then they discovered the infection and after lots and lots of antibiotics (and the accompanying diarrhea) I started to go more like oh, I see what they're talking about. Your body has been through a LOT lately and it's going to need lots of rest and care. And then you will be better and able to tell others how much better it gets and how worth it it's been.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

lianna
on 6/3/15 8:00 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I am so so sorry that you have continued to have such severe problems.  I will send some prayers that this resolves itself soon, and you start feeling better.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

Zee Starrlite
on 6/4/15 8:37 am

You will heal!

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this.  I hope you get some responses from people who have experienced leaks.  It seems a long process but they ALWAYS come out gold in the end.

All Best,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy