medication

texasbumpkin
on 6/3/15 1:19 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello, new person to the forum.  Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I have to take medication that is not related to my weight, I have epilepsy, and I am concerned about being able to take them after surgery because they are large pills and can not be crushed.  Has anyone else run into this issue??

mickeymantle
on 6/3/15 1:30 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was taking 1000 mg metiformin the day I came home from the hospital with no problem

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

TexasTerritory
on 6/3/15 1:33 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I never have had any problem taking my medication. I resumed my regiment after my post-op swallow test.

Sarah V.
on 6/3/15 1:53 pm

I had to take giant iron pills right after surgery and it was more of a problem psychologically than physically. I had problems with large pills with I had a lapband...not with the sleeve.

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/3/15 1:54 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I take a whole mess of pills for bipolar and have had no trouble. I could split my larger pills and swallow several pieces individually, it took quite a while to work through them all but I got everything in. Once I was healed up I could take the pills whole, and now I can take my entire handful at once.

If you're worried about being able to take things immediately post-op, check with your doctor or pharmacist about alternate doses or options from a compound pharmacy. Many meds come in liquid form, or you could get a bottle of smaller-dose pills and take several to total your original dose.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ok2BaLoser
on 6/3/15 1:55 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

Thank you for asking!  I have been wondering the same thing!!  I just spent a ridiculous amount of money on chewable vitamins for my upcoming surgery and can not tolerate the calcium citrate... Guess I will look at taking a daily pill instead!  Whew!

Oneillch
on 6/3/15 4:11 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

I too had problems taking the calcium citrate (Citrical Petites) even when I split them so, with the approval of my nut, I took Vitafusion's Chewable Calcium, 3 x's/day. Now at 4 months I can swallow the calcium citrate pills without a problem. 

Ok2BaLoser
on 6/4/15 11:32 am
VSG on 06/19/15

Thank you for this information!  I was truly concerned about that being a female and needing the calcium!

Most Active