Protein shakes

texasbumpkin
on 6/8/15 9:39 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello all.  I am looking to find a protein powder that is high and protein but also taste good.  Where after surgery, as wee all know, I will be on protein shakes for a while, I want something that will be appetizing as well as healthy.  I have purchased some different types in sample packets

Pro 24: vanilla, chocolate and mint chocolate

Nectar: vanilla, chocolate

Quest: peanut butter, chocolate, vanilla

LS natural: vanilla, chocolate

Iso-define: chocolate

Puredge: chocolate

Has anyone tried this, how were they.  What types do you recommend?

Thanks for your responces.

wyo_sarah
on 6/8/15 9:47 am

I like the Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle. I mix it with unsweetened soy milk, pb2 and some ice.

Heather L.
on 6/8/15 9:57 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

I really like the Syntrax Nectars.  The chocolate truffle one is my current favourite.  I didn't enjoy their vanilla, though.  Fuzzy Peach and Pink Lemonade are also awesome and a nice break from the chocolate/strawberry/vanilla protein shakes.

I found the Quest Chocolate Milkshake flavour gritty and far too thick to enjoy, myself. 

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Bufflehead
on 6/8/15 10:28 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I like the Syntrax Nectar flavors a lot, particularly the chocolate truffle and cappuccino.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard has lots of different flavors, great numbers, you can buy samples from nashuanutrition.com

Unjury Chocolate Splendor is really good. You might also want to get a couple sample packets of their chicken soup protein -- lots of people prefer savory to sweet immediately after surgery. You can buy individual packets from unjury.com

I tried the Quest flavors. I liked the peanut butter, not the chocolate or vanilla.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/15 10:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I really like the Syntrax fruit flavors. I got a tub of the fuzzy navel flavor, and I mix it into orange crystal light, good stuff!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GooseGirl
on 6/8/15 10:45 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Everyone's tastes are different and what you enjoy pre-surgery may be drastically different than what tastes good post surgery. My current favorite is by Cellucor and it is the Chocolate Raspberry Truffle flavor. 130 cal, 1.5 g fat, 4g Total Carbs, 25g Protein (counts vary slightly based on flavor).  

I always try new flavors from GNC because if you buy them at GNC and don't like it then you have the ability to return them (even opened). 

Oneillch
on 6/8/15 1:02 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

i've been using the Unflavored Syntrax Nectar because it's much more versatile than a flavored protein powder. I can mix it with soups, beverages, yogurt, etc. and if I want flavoring in my shakes, I'll add a tablespoon (10 calories) of sfff instant jello pudding mix or some Torani sf syrup or both. Last night I had a pistachio flavored shake w/vanilla syrup (so good!) & tonight I plan on trying strawberry cheesecake (cheesecake sfff pudding mixed with frozen strawberries instead of ice). 

MAchick
on 6/8/15 1:35 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

The pistachio sounds good,  I love pistachio.

I'm not sure how far out you are, but a lot of programs advice against strawberries in the beginning because of the risk the seeds pose to a new staple line. If this doesn't fit you,  then just ignore me :-) I just found this tidbit helpful when I started out. 

Suzannne
on 6/8/15 3:35 pm

Thar sounds really good!

Suzanne

MAchick
on 6/8/15 1:36 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I love most of the syntrax nectar flavors. I started with the individual samples,  but ended up buying tubs of strawberry kiwi,  fuzzy navel,  and lemonade. 

Most Active