Surgery schedule 06/29th

sds3759
on 6/8/15 1:22 pm

Three weeks from now schedule for my vsg, and i am a nervous wreck. So many question that come to mind.. Defintley planning on talking with my dr but what has worked for you..

What vitamins should i start taking or prep on taking?

What should my food intake start to look like.. after the 2 week post diet.

what excerise has worked for after the surgery

Gwen M.
on 6/8/15 3:41 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

A lot of this stuff is surgeon dependent.  

Here are the vitamins I started taking post-op based on my lab work, my surgeon's recommendations, and the ASMBS guidelines.  

#1 Multi, Calcium 500mg, Vitamin D 5000IU, B-12 1000mcg (every other day)
#2 Calcium, Vitamin K 500mcg
#3 Multi, Calcium, Vitamin D
#4 Iron 18mg, Vitamin C 500mg

I've modified them in the 15 months since surgery.  

I had liquids for 2 weeks, pureed foods for 2 weeks, and soft foods for 2 weeks before I got to my forever diet.  

What do you mean by "worked" for exercise?  Weight loss is about 90% diet, but exercise is fantastic for improving your health.  What works best is what you enjoy doing and will actually do.  The best exercise in the world doesn't do anything if you hate it and avoid doing it.  For me, I take a lot of fitness classes, do a lot of yoga, and run.  But I started off just walking.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sds3759
on 6/8/15 4:23 pm

Thank you for your reply Gwen. The only information i have about the vitamin is what the nutritionist gave me.. Which is vitamin and protein supplements, maltivitamin and calcium .. I scheduled an appt to see my surgery on June 18th, hopfully we can go over all my concerns.. 

My question for the food intake was referring more to what does a after surgery meal plan look like.. I have realized that my biggest hassle will be dinner time.. I work full time and have 5 kids.. i usually pick up fast food or its left overs for dinner and that is mostly ever day.. I want to start planning on a meal menu so i can start following it.. Also, should i start cutting back on my "craving list" like sweets/ soda/fast food, which i already know i should have done.. would it be easier once i have the surgery or its best to cut old habits.. what worked for you?

The excerise question was more over all//. excess skin and more efficient with the surgery.. i like the point you added about must like the workout if not, it just wont work out.. I do walk during my hour lunch but i feel i have came to a stall and i may need something more.. how often during the day do you excerise?

Gwen M.
on 6/8/15 4:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If your surgeon doesn't address all of your questions, I would highly recommend finding a different one - even with surgery so close.  Your surgeon, and her team, should be preparing you for success!  

Pre-op, I started replacing breakfast and lunch every day with a protein shake.  I did that for about 2.5 months before surgery.  It helped me to get my mindset in the right place.  

How old are your kids?  Do you have a partner?  I'd work on getting them involved with meal prep.  Lots of studies show that kids who are involved in meals have healthier habits :)  The crock pot might be your new best friend - prep meals on the weekend, put them in freezer containers, and just dump them in the slow cooker before heading to work in the morning.  

There's a post here every day called "Whatcha Eating" and it should give you good ideas for what we eat :)  

Excess skin is going to happen - no exercise in the world will prevent it if you're one of the lucky ones who is doomed to have it.  So don't worry about it too much, just start saving for plastics if you want to go that route.  I exercise 1-3 hours a day, but I'm an anomaly.  1 hour a day of walking is awesome.  You can work on increasing the intensity by walking fast, running, adding weights, whatever you like.  

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

sds3759
on 6/8/15 4:37 pm

These are very good tips.. Thanks again Gwen! I really appreciate your chat.. i am new to forums and was alittle skeptical with the whole thing. but i see now that there are people who care to help... i have encounter alot of do it yourself attitude and realize that maybe i alone with all this.. anyways, I will put these into play moving on forward. Thanks

Gwen M.
on 6/8/15 5:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome - good luck!