Random neighbor asked about my weight loss

becomingjenn
on 6/13/15 6:14 pm

I was coming home from a walk the other day and saw a neighbor step out on his porch to give a cat a few treats.  Long story short, I stopped to talk to him about the cat.  We had a pleasant conversation and a few minutes later I was about to go on my merry way when he says, "Can I ask if you've lost a lot of weight lately?"

Ummmmm ... sure, dude.  I mean, I don't know you from Adam.  I only know you're my neighbor because I saw you step out of your front door just now.  I don't know your name and we've never talked before today, but sure.  You can ask about my weight.

?!?!  LOL.  It just struck me as so ... I don't know, odd?  Out of left field?  Whatever it was, I was amused in a bewildered way.  He is very fit so it wasn't like he was asking for himself.  I told him about the WLS and yes, he followed up by asking me how much I've lost.  Alrighty then!

So I've learned that (a) Other people are *way* more observant than me, and (b) Other people are *way* more willing to ask perfect strangers personal questions.

Anyone else have random encounters like this?

Jenn

"I know things about stuff."         

DISCLAIMER: User must apply appropriate Snark and Sarcasm fonts to above post.  Failure to apply may result in feelings of irritation and/or insult.

----

Sleeve 7-25-14 / HW 333 / SW 316 / CW 155.8

Bufflehead
on 6/13/15 6:28 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My neighbor stopped me when I was out walking my dog and told me how great I was doing with weight loss. He was one of the first people to say anything to me about it, and I was actually pleased and flattered. But part of that is that I know he's a physician so his opinion on possible health-related stuff matters to me, even if it's just from walking by his house! And we had chatted a few times before so it wasn't like we were complete strangers.

Shel25
on 6/13/15 6:46 pm

Random moment:  I hand my driver's license over to the lady who was renewing my car's registration.  She looks at the pic on the license, she looks at me.  She says "This doesn't look like you!"  

Worried that she wasn't going to let me renew my registration, I started to protest.  She cuts me off by pointing at me, saying "YOU are attractive!" then she looks back at the pic and shakes her head.  

Usually, any sort of conversation about my appearance makes me intensely uncomfortable, but this one made me laugh.  

I have also learned that my observation skills are terrible.  I hoped that if I wasn't noticing the details of other's appearance, then maybe nobody was noticing mine.  It is part of my excellent head-in-the-sand skillset.  

~Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

SATXVSG
on 6/17/15 10:15 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I have been waiting on a this doesn't look like you moment.   My dl pick looks nothing like me now as it was taken at close to my high weight.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Hislady
on 6/13/15 7:10 pm - Vancouver, WA

I think part of it is we do have a head in sand approach to life in general. When we are over weight we try to hide ourselves. Not easy at most of our sizes but we think we can for some strange reason. Other people that are on the outskirts of our lives pay more attention to things, so they notice our weight loss sometimes even before we do! So since they may have seen us a few times they feel it's ok to ask about weight loss because that's a good thing and who could be annoyed at losing weight?! So they ask as a way of being able to say good job, to acknowledge that they see a difference in your appearance. I don't think most of them are trying to be nosy or rude they are trying in their own way to say"Way to go girl!" So just say thank you and smile big on the rest of your way home!!!!

Amy M.
on 6/13/15 7:17 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I love it when people ask if I've lost weight.  I've also had random co workers who I've never talked to ask me if I've lost weight.  It's a good feeling and confidence boost.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/13/15 7:34 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Just today a neighbor of mind asked if I had the surgery, it was preceeded by a hi & a smile while I went to get my mail, when I came back she was still at the elevator, the elevator I just got off & had a hi & a smile.

She then asked if she could ask me a personal question, then she asked if I had the surgery. I didn't mind telling her about it, even though we hardly know each other, & had the barest of conversations, but it was nice. She wanted to know about the surgery for herself, luckily I had my Drs business card to give to her. I guess I'll have to pick up some more at my next appointment.

Maybe the guy was interested for a friend seeing how much progress you made. Good going by the way.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Racewalker48
on 6/13/15 10:26 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I frequently go a local FedEx office in my neighbourhood and one day went in and the guy that helped me asked if I had started working out.  He was really trying to be polite,so I said to him that yes, there is a little less of me now than when he last saw me.  He blushed, and said that he has to be careful to ask a lady about her weight, even when paying a compliement because we can get realy sensitive about these things.  We laughed about it and I went on my merry way.  The way I see it, I would rather be asked if I worked out than to be asked if I was expecting (which I have!).  

LookingForOnederlan
d

on 6/14/15 8:41 am - Shelbyville, TN

Ahhh, the old "when is your baby due?" questions; I don't miss that!. I saw a comedian once who said the ONLY acceptable time to ask a woman about her pregnancy is in the delivery room!

Sleeved on 6/19/2014  Hw 277  Sw 254   Cw  142  Gw 135

M1 -20  M2 -10  M3 -11  M4 -11  M5 -11  M6 -8  M7 -8  M8 -8  M9 -1  M10 -8  M11 -4  M12 -2  M13-18-5

ONEderland 10/15/2014

psychoticparrot
on 6/14/15 1:24 pm

Hey, enjoy the spotlight while it lasts! Once you reach goal and maintenance, the exciting drama of your changing appearance will diminish, and you'll just be you again, although a much happier and healthier you. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 199 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views