Afraid I have stretched my stomach!

Wanda1118
on 6/14/15 7:15 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

I feel that I am eating way more than I should be and no, I am not losing much weight..I sometimes feel I just can't get full. I am 11 months post op..Have I stretched my stomach out and if so, it there a way to shrink it back again? Has anyone else had this problem?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/14/15 7:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The only way to see if you're eating more than you should be is to track it.

Are you eating carbs? Most folks don't get full from them, and find they make them more hungry.

It is fairly difficult to stretch out your stomach, but if you're concerned it would be a question for your surgeon.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TiaHa49
on 6/14/15 8:04 pm - Cleveland, OH

I'm Def not meaning to sound harsh as its not my style :-).

With that being said, we're not supposed to eat till full...nobody is. We eat until satieted. Measure out your amount, eat n walk away. We should always b measuring and weighing until we're far enough out there to eyeball which I at 2yrs/2 mos am not.

Our stomachs do mature and we're able to eat more. Stick to your plan and remember dense protein fills us. 

With the band of 10 yrs I learned JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DOESN'T MEAN U SHOULD

On this site I've learned UNDER EAT YOUR SLEEVE.

I'm sure more qualified will respond.

Best of luck, 

Tia

Luvmygs
on 6/15/15 7:38 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Make sure you're eating protein first. I can snack on junk continuously, but when it comes to protein it fills me up immediately. I finally got rid of the snacking and I'm concentrating on protein again. Hard lesson for me to learn.

MissNexxie
on 6/15/15 8:08 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm curious, though, if a stretched stomach will shrink back once a person gets back to mindful/measured eating?  I'd like to know the mechanics of it aside from the information on how to eat.  I've wondered about this as time has passed and I feel the ability to eat more.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/15/15 8:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Our sleeves do relax a bit in the first months after surgery as the swelling subsides and everything heals up. (According to my sugeon at least!) Two months after surgery I could barely eat half of a protein bar, but after four or five I could finish an entire one. That may be why you're able to eat more.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy M.
on 6/15/15 1:54 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

So I see what you're asking... Before surgery when we would go from over eating every day to trying to stick to a diet we would notice that the diet became easier and say it was because "our stomach shrank."  I don't think that's actually a thing.  I think our minds just became accustomed to eating less therefore we felt full faster.

As others have said to me, constant over eating can stretch your sleeve.  If you accidentally eat too much once in a while, it won't stretch your sleeve.  Just don't let it become a habit.  

When I was 2 months out from surgery I could only eat 2 oz of dense protein.  Now at nearly 11 months out I can eat 4 oz of dense protein.  My stomach didn't stretch, it's just fully healed and functioning the way it's supposed to.

Wanda1118
on 6/15/15 3:23 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

Thank you all for getting back to me..It's not that I haven't done really well losing weight...I have lost about 100 lbs in the last 11 months but for the past month or 2 I haven't lost but a couple of pounds and it just seems I am really hungry most of the time...I downloaded my fitness pal today and will chart what I am eating and the exercise I do (I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week) and see what happens in the next month til I see my surgeon again

Amy M.
on 6/15/15 5:10 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I was going through the same dilemma as you are.  I am about 10.5 months out and the last few months felt like I was hardly losing anything at all and I was getting SO frustrated.  What I realized was that I was actually eating more than I thought.  Remember every bite counts and nutrition is the most important factor in weight loss.  Track and weigh EVERYTHING! I also cut my calories WAY back.  I was eating between 900-1,200 per day and I wasn't losing anything.  I reduced my calories to around the 600 mark and now I'm losing again.  I lost 6 lbs last week!  Myfitnesspal will definitely help you stay on track as long as you're honest with yourself about how much you eat.  Good luck!

frisco
on 6/15/15 11:56 pm
On June 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Pacific Time, Amy M. wrote:

I was going through the same dilemma as you are.  I am about 10.5 months out and the last few months felt like I was hardly losing anything at all and I was getting SO frustrated.  What I realized was that I was actually eating more than I thought.  Remember every bite counts and nutrition is the most important factor in weight loss.  Track and weigh EVERYTHING! I also cut my calories WAY back.  I was eating between 900-1,200 per day and I wasn't losing anything.  I reduced my calories to around the 600 mark and now I'm losing again.  I lost 6 lbs last week!  Myfitnesspal will definitely help you stay on track as long as you're honest with yourself about how much you eat.  Good luck!

This is "Spot On" to what I have found true with every person I've worked with to lose the last weight !!!

Way to go !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle