High PTH

grayC
on 6/13/15 11:04 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I had my 2 yr checkup w/ my dr yesterday...

I normally request a copy of my bloodwork from the lab,

to see what's up before any appt just in case there's  questions there..

well I get my report back on Monday and it shows my PTH (parathyroid hormone) is high...

more than double from last year, high...

I google to death and of course go into a panic attack seeing the likes of

chronic kidney disease and such, then I finally have the light bulb moment

and do a search here...seems This is mostly a RNY issue, not VSG..

(seems you can have a high reading when your actually lacking in calcium,

since your body will take from the bones to protect your nerves, and show normal calcium levels,

who knew...not me!)

I didn't make an apt w/ my GP or endocrinologist

since I though my bariatric surgeon would have ALL the answers...

NOPE told me to follow up with G/P

Im less worried then I was, but I'm also having high BP issues

and I just don't know if it's all related..

sorry this is all long winded...did anyone have high PTH and wonky BP at 2 yrs out...

I think I'm reaching with this post...but you never know!

psychoticparrot
on 6/13/15 11:33 am

I'm only four months post-op, but I had high PTH reading from blood work done a few weeks ago. I also Googled myself into a panic. My doctor told me no worries; he just upped my calcium supplements. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

grayC
on 6/13/15 8:08 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Thank you so much...

i was driving myself crazy until I did a search here..

bjones9679
on 6/13/15 7:39 pm

I suggest going to an endocrinologist but take the bloodwork results with you.  I just went through this myself with high PTH.  I'm 18 months out.  Normal levels following surgery but starting about a year, the levels began rising and were out of range.  My surgeon suggested my 1500 mg calcium was low.  He told me to up calcium to 2000 a day which would probably help.  Got it rechecked a couple months later but it was still high (98).  I did the same thing as you - Google can make you crazy sometimes. :)  Since the calcium increase didn't help, he suggested an endocrinologist so I went.  The endo said since all my other levels were within range, he was giving me an RX for Vitamin D 50,000 weekly instead of the 5,000 daily I was taking.  This did the trick!  I'm just above the normal range in only two months being on the RX.  Googling this gave me the impression I'd need thyroid surgery or could have cancer.  Fortunately, the endo had the right answer!

grayC
on 6/13/15 8:15 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

You have NO IDEA how much this eases my mind!!!

GOOGLE IS THE DEBIL!!!!! 

I was GOING NUTS!!! I mean outta my mind NUTS!!

thank God I thought to do a search here about 2 days later...

I have an endocrinologist that treated my type 2, he released me

about a yr and a half ago, but wanted to see me every 6 months..

so Im about due anyway....wondering if I should just up it myself and in a couple months 

get my blood work from my regular GP...just worried that my Endo has no experience with 

bariatric surgery and may make me NUTS again...

Also I was wondering, when your levels elevated did your BP also??

bjones9679
on 6/13/15 8:46 pm

I'm happy this helped.  The endo doctor I went to was in the same hospital network as my bariatric surgeon.  They told me I could go to anyone but provided a recommendation to this endo since I'd never been to one.  It was great because all my records were online for the endo to see since they were connected.  Maybe you could ask your surgeon to recommend someone - hopefully the same one you went to before.  As for blood pressure, it was slightly elevated but enough to be a concern to him.  This was all happening around the same time I had stopped exercising as much and had a little regain so it's possible everything was related.  The endo discussed all these changes with me.  The thing that surprised me is that a thyroid and its functioning really had nothing to do with a high PTH level.  To be on the safe side, I suggest getting bloodwork for iron, Vitamin D, calcium, TSH, and the basic CBC with A1C since these are what they tested for me.  They all work together according to my endo.  Good luck!

grayC
on 6/13/15 9:00 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

OMG! it's  like I'm reading my own story!

I also stopped exercicing, about a year ago due to a shoulder injury...

was getting better, re injured it in December..

weight gain due to a perfect **** storm that happened in my life...

BLAH...BLAH...BLAH...

my bariatric dr. Also said I need to get back to exercise..

it's just so hard to motivate myself...

I'll get there...

all my bloodwork including CBC a1c and everything came back good....

THANKS AGAIN!

tinaswebmailus
on 8/4/16 9:48 pm
DS on 07/18/16

From desperately need to know,

Are you post op from duodenal switch or rouxeny.     and

What is the prescription called? 

Can I get it over the counter or from a Canadian pharmacy??

From VERY ELEVATED PTH AS WELL

Crazeru
on 6/14/15 6:32 pm

Also check your Vit D.  Generally to get your PTH down, you need to up your Vit D and calcium.  I take calcium 6x/day.  D3 - 50k - 1/day for me as a DS.  You may be able to take 3/week and up your calcium (make sure it's citrate).

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Wanda1118
on 6/14/15 7:09 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

I am 11 months post surgery and my PTH is also up..Endo did new labs and it's still up..She said she would watch me and see how I did and to repeat these labs and see her in 4 months...however, Friday I received a letter in the mail saying she is leaving the area and since she is the only endo here, I don't know what to do now

Most Active